• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Biggest game

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zip

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What's the biggest game you would hunt with your biggest gun? I only have a .50 cal TC Hawken and I think close-range elk would be its limit, maybe moose with a heavy conical. However, all I'll be hunting for now will be California mule/blacktail deer.

I'm in the market for a .58 Civil War rifle and wondered if it would do well for elk and moose, should I get the chance.

I have a 62 smoothbore - anything I would likely get to shoot at - 50 yds or less

My 54s will handle anything in my neck of the woods but I do want a 58 or a 62 one day. Overkill some would say for our deer but I hope to get to hunt something bigger some day :thumbsup:

Biggest game I hunt is eastern whitetails...and have taken them with .45/.50/.54/.58/.62cals.

I am sure I could tackle an elk at close range with my .50, but I might just borrow my wife's .54 for added peace of mind. :v

TN just made the 36 legal for all big game. Deer, Black Bear, Elk. 45 is the smallest I have. I guess it's considered a magnum caliber in TN. TN must have some of the most accurate BP shots is all I can figure. I don't recall having to show an offhand target when I got my big game license so I guess its just "assumed". but you know what they say about "ASSuMeing" any thing We all got Davy Crockett blood in us down here.

The boys in my moose hunt camp hunt with .50 cal (prb),58cal enfield ,.75 cal Bess,20ga smoothrifle
and a 12 bore musket.

80 yards is a long shot for us and most are taken at 50ish to 15 yards .Heart and lungs shots ...they rarely go more the 20 yards.

IMHO shot placement and getting in close is the key to success .

:idunno: I doubt anything bigger than a bison would fit in my freezer.

A .715 patched round ball over a stout load of powder out of my Bess would probably be bad medicine for about any critter I could get in range.

Interesting stuff. .36 for all big game in TN and .50 for 1,000 lb. buffalo and moose. Says alot about the old guns still being deadly under the right conditions. But I guess I'm preachin' to the pulpit here. :thumbsup:

The biggest game I hunt is whitetail deer and black bear. I have a .45 flint that has taken many deer but not yet a bear. I'll have a .50 coming in for Christmas (or sooner) and would tackle elk without hesitation with it - if I had the opportunity. A .54 US M1841 and a .62 flint smoothbore will do for anything I can dream up.

Back