• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

birchwood caseys barrel browning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob1961

62 Cal.
Reaction score
how good does this stuff work?....i'm thinking of doing my T/C hawken with the browning with the new curly maple stock that should be here any day now....and does anyone know how to get the cased harding color like this website has for there T/C custom rifles?....

http://restorationfirearms.com/OnlineCatalog.html

that looks like it would be a nice look to my rifle when done......................................bob

Bob: There have been several posts about using Plum Brown on parts so you may want to use the "Search" to find them and go thru what has been said.
The actual browning is almost instant but a few things should be mentioned:
I can say on small parts where you can control the heat required to the proper 260-290 degree F it works very well. Heating a barrel to the proper temperature is a much larger challenge.
If the heat is too low, Plum Brown will deposite a layer of copper which screws up the browning and will not accept additional browning. To hot and the solution vaperizes without leaving a good brown color.
Even if the temperature is in the correct range, on a large object like a barrel it will produce a uneven coat making it necessary to apply at least 2 to 5 coats for it to even out.
If your careful and willing to apply the multiple coats needed, it can produce a very nice Brown.

Color Case Hardening is a special process which I have only read about. It usually envolves burying the part in bones and sealing it in a container. It has some critical temperatures and quenches envolved and I have never tried it myself.
There are some companys who specialize in this sort of work but I don't know what they would charge for the services.
There are some processes which produce the color without hardening but I don't know the details of them.

I can't tell you a thing about case hardening except that I love it and where to send it. I'd love to know how but at the moment time doesn't allow me to learn.

As far as BC's Plumb Brown I've used it many times in the past and had good luck every time. I don't have Zonies knowledge about what's going on chemically but can say if you take your time and heat the barrel cautiously and evenly you will end up with a very nice, durble brown. It will take a minimum of 3 coats. What I always do is apply it until I think it looks good then apply another coat just in case. I've never been disappointed. As he said, smaller pieces are done quite easily.

Some day when I build "my" rifle I'm gonna learn how and do a real "rust brown" finish. Those are the most beautiful in my eye.

Vic

zonie, sharps, thanks for your info....did you see the color of the T/C rifle that was on that website i put in my post?....i think that will look nice....maybe i can send my parts to them....i'll have to call them and find out....once again thanks for the replies you guys are the best :applause:............................bob

I did look at that web site. That is about the best looking TC I've seen. The top rifle looks a lot like my Gun Works Hawken except my stock has a little more red in it.....but who can tell from some web site pictures.....That Lyman GPR really looked good.

Vic

Latest posts

Back