• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Birchwood Caseys Perma Blue

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perma Blue comes in liquid and paste, I prefer the paste. This is the breechplug on the Renegade that I converted from Caplock to Flintlock. The breechplug was filed to size (the come slightly oversized) and blued with the Perma Blue paste. After a couple years of use it was starting to wear pretty bad, so I cleaned it up and blued it again. The picture is the results of the 2nd time blued without firing the rifle. As mentioned above, it can look good, it isn't the most durable, however you can blue it again as needed.

20240604_053609.jpg

I've had mixed results with it. Obsessive surface prep, thorough degreasing and heating helps. Doesn't wear particularly well. I switched to Brownell Oxpho Blue, which seems to give marginally better results.

I used the new creme Oxpho Blue on 2 old shotguns and they look like hot blue. wears very well.

Has anyone used Birchwood Casey's Perma Blue? Does it wear well? Thinking about using it.
-Pat
Depends what you want to do with it. Perma Blue paste works pretty well for touch-ups. It works through surface contamination. And the residual paste is easily removed. For a better blue of a complete part, though, I'd rather use Super Blue.

It's good for touch ups and small stuff, I've kept a bottle for probably 10 years for that reason. For larger surfaces I had to be meticulous about prep, card it and reapply multiple times. I don't have any other at home process to compare aside from heating and quenching in linseed. Neither are all that durable in my experience. I've never blues a barrel, I'd probably chose something else if I did.

Has anyone used Birchwood Casey's Perma Blue? Does it wear well? Thinking about using it.
-Pat
Forget the actual motivation at the time, but I blued a framing/ripping hammer with both Brownells’ Oxpho-Blue and Birchwood Casey’s cold bluing and found the Brownells the superior of the two by a little for wear. Forget which I tried first, but the bluing from both products ultimately was quickly worn away. I then rust blued the hammer with Laurel Mountain Forge Barrel Brown. That hammer has since seen years of use and abuse, indoors and outdoors, but the bluing still looks much like it did the day I blued it.
1717555356178.jpeg

I have found Oxpho Blue (the gel form) to do a much better job than Perma Blue, and last longer as well. Brownell's carries it. Before use, wipe the part down with denatured alcohol and warm it up.

i have used it all. the most durable cold blue for me is super blue. i put it on and then buff back to a grey on the guns i put together. super blue is the hardest to rub back, so it has to be the toughest,,,,,,,,,,

Forget the actual motivation at the time, but I blued a framing/ripping hammer with both Brownells’ Oxpho-Blue and Birchwood Casey’s cold bluing and found the Brownells the superior of the two by a little for wear. Forget which I tried first, but the bluing from both products ultimately was quickly worn away. I then rust blued the hammer with Laurel Mountain Forge Barrel Brown. That hammer has since seen years of use and abuse, indoors and outdoors, but the bluing still looks much like it did the day I blued it.

Nothing beats rust blue for beauty, durability, and rust resistance. Second place would be hot dip caustic bluing.

All cold blues are very close to being the same thing (according to Brownell's). They will color the metal for a little while. They offer NO rust protection, and I am convinced they actually cause rusting.

Latest posts

Back