• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bison with an Underhammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmww

70 Cal.
Reaction score
IMG_9706.jpg

IMG_9718.jpg

I'm currently in Montana and just finished killing a 2 year old Cow Bison. Photo #1 is the Bison with my back up underhammer that I didn't use. I just wanted a pretty shot.

Photo #2 with me holding my H&A .62 Underhammer. I was using hard cast RB .60 with 85 grains of Pyrodex RS. I shot her in the neck and she dropped in her tracks. The range was approximately 45 yards. At the butcher the hanging weight was 633 lbs. I'll be picking up the meat sometime next week and will be heading home.

Great job!!! You will be eating good.Always wanted to hunt the buff,but never made it happen.

Outstanding!!! Had that pleasure about a yera ago and that meat is GOOD!
For the price you'll probably make it an annual pilgramidge
:hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Outstanding! Congratulations.

Did you happen to recover the ball?

And don't lose track of those horns. If you're not going to do a cleaned skull mount, they look just right for a matched set of "day" horns.

Nice pictures, nice guns, and a very nice sized buffalo.

Okay, I will ask the stupid question: What is the difference between " Hanging weight", and Live weight?? Field Dressed? Hide on or off? Head and hooves on, or off? I am not familiar with the term, "hanging weight", so had to ask. :idunno: :surrender: :thumbsup:

I would also like to read more about that Back-up Underhammer. Its obviously not a H&A rifle. What is it?

Congratulations, again. You could feed a lot of people on all that meat. :hatsoff:

paulvallandigham said:
Nice pictures, nice guns, and a very nice sized buffalo.

Okay, I will ask the stupid question: What is the difference between " Hanging weight", and Live weight?? Field Dressed? Hide on or off? Head and hooves on, or off? I am not familiar with the term, "hanging weight", so had to ask. :idunno: :surrender: :thumbsup:

I would also like to read more about that Back-up Underhammer. Its obviously not a H&A rifle. What is it?

Congratulations, again. You could feed a lot of people on all that meat. :hatsoff:

Thanks everyone.

About the weight. The rancher figured it was about close to 1100 lbs on the hoof. After it was gutted and skinned we took it to the butcher where they cut it up and weighed it. (Head and hoofs off.) That was 633 lbs. according to the scale that was certified this year. This is what my bill will be based on. I'm paying .60 per pound. I was told from there after it is butchered (deboned, roasts, and burger)I can figure on 70% of that. I usually have them cut it into roast. I cut the roasts into steaks depending on what we are doing.

Britsmoothy said:
It is amazing what a ball can do.

Congrats :hatsoff:

Brits.

I wanted deep penetration so I cast the balls with wheel weights. The hole going in was the same sized hole coming out. And that was after striking the spine. I was quite impressed considering the thickness of the hide and depth of the neck.

That is a very good value, I love bison meat, at that price! A steer hanging will run about 800 and final price after butchering and cutting usually runs about $2.00 around here.

Great story and hunt you lucky dog! :v Great pix also. Is that your first buffalo? Looks like a dream hunt to me and I do like the meat
and it's good for ya too. :thumbsup:
Dusty :wink:

Back