• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Bear

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tgold62

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm going to Ontario next fall to hunt black bear with my Hawken flinter. This will be my first hunt for these critters. Any advice from the bear veterans out there?

Here's a pic of a fullstock Hawken I built from a Golden Age Arms component set. She will be accompanying me on this adventure.

I plan on using my .54 for black bear this year. Still have to work up a load. Good Luck.

I'm curious about your load, as well as the rifle you shoot it from. What kind of groups do you get at the range, and at what distance? I've been kicking myself for having chosen a .50 cal before I understood more about muzzleloaders.

What is the length and twist of your barrel? Weight? Width of the barrel?

It's a .54 caliber fullstock flint hawken. It has a 42" Green Mountain barrel, 1 inch across the flats. The twist I believe is 1-72. With the load I mentioned groups just under 1" (from bench) are the norm(at 50 yds). the lock is a L&R late English the triggers are L&R also. I've shot quite a few deer with it, it's been dependable in messy weather to. Either that or I'm lucky in the rain,lol :wink: Weight is just over 9 1/2 pounds.

You may want to check with your outfitter. My understanding is transporting black powder across the Canadian border is illegal. I have heard hunters will send cash to their outfitter enabling him to purchase and insure the correct powder is in camp. Additionally, have a passport a current drivers license is no longer accepted.

Snow

I just went to Ontario a month ago for black bear. It is ok to take black powder.

RangeNanny62
You will have to stop and register your gun(s) with Canadian customs ($25). Try and get the paperwork ahead of time and fill it out, but do not sign it until you are in front of the Customs agent. Flinters are supposed to be exempt, but if you get a Canadian customs agent that does not know their own laws, or chooses to interpret the law the way he wants like the one I got, it is just easier to pay the fee. I suggest you stop at U.S. Customs either ahead of time, or on your way across the border and have them document your gun(s) before you go into Canada, will save some hassle getting back into the states.

Where are you going? I went to Huntsville, a couple of hours north of Toronto. I used my 20 ga. trade gun, 75 gr. 3f, patched round ball. distance from tree stand to bait was about 20yards. Bear went about 50 yards and piled up.

Good luck to you.

Thanks for the responses guys. I've been up twice this year getting the lay of the land. I will be hunting near Echo Bay, staying with friends near Bruce Mines. How much powder can you take? Does it have to be in pre-measured charges?

I have seen nothing in the laws that restricted how much powder you can take, but I may have missed it. I took a pound between my flask and can. Was never asked how much I had with me.

Since most black bears in my experience and those that hunt bears around me and what I have hunted in canada most shots are around 15-25 yards (usually thick woods with small baited area thats more open). Either way the load you have choosen will do the job wayyyy past that. As far as customs goes it all depends on the guy working there and if your driving or flying in. I always drove since the canadian border was meer minutes from my old home in Michigan. I always claimed the guns at the border and they would check them and pass us through for a fee. Just for all thats holy do not attemp to bring a pistol of any kind with you. OHHH if the gun has no serial number like it prolly doesn't make sure theres a way to mark the gun for registration purposes if you get the one tar-hole guy thats an idiot and doesn't know flinterlockers are excempt from the registration fee and process. A never opened sealed can or bottle of powder is easier to get acrossed the boarder as well then an opened one, they will dump a powder horn out at the gate if their in a bad mood just to see whats all in it. If you require medication make sure its in the bottle from pharmacy in your name, with a current perscription and a doctors note stating what its for and why you take it and time period to cover your stay. If not depending on the medication you will be arrested for importing narcotics. And just plan to buy all food, adult beverage supplies in canada, as well as tabacco if used. i'm sure I am missing lessons learned but I have crossed the boarde likely 500 times at least. As others have stated a passport is now required to cross, however they will take a Michigan enhanced drivers license as well. I have both no problems..

So if I stamp a number/my name on the rifle (Self-built). It will pass?

I've been across 2 times this year, driving from Ohio. Never had any issues going in, but the U.S. guys searched me both times. I must look suspicious. :idunno:

RangeNanny62 said:
I've been across 2 times this year, driving from Ohio. Never had any issues going in, but the U.S. guys searched me both times. I must look suspicious. :idunno:

I have found US Customs searches more than Canadian. I've taken my motorhome into Canada..a few questions...on my way. Coming back, full search of the interior. In fact the US people mentioned they are not happy with Canada's relatively lax procedures.

It depends on where you cross. In Manitoba we never had trouble either way but I crossed in northern Minn. to Ontario and the Canadian guy said I couldn't bring a shotgun in. I argued for 10 min. and demanded to see the supervisor. He said the same thing so I demanded that he show me the rule in writing. He grumbled and let us go in .. with the shotgun.
Just a couple of anti-gun guys making up their own laws.

Miami is a pain too. :cursing:

Here is the Canadian law on ammunition and powder.

You may import authorized sporting and competitive ammunition and reloading components for your personal use.

Quantities that may be imported for personal use and not for sale without requiring an Explosives Importation Permit from Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) include:

small-arms, sporting ammunition, up to a maximum of 5,000 rounds; and
primers, up to a quantity of 5,000; and
empty primed cartridge cases, up to a quantity of 5,000; and
propellants, smokeless powder in containers not exceeding 4000 grams and black powder in containers not exceeding 500 grams, up to a maximum total combined quantity of 8 kilograms, (17.66 pounds).

RangeNanny62 said:
So if I stamp a number/my name on the rifle (Self-built). It will pass?

All I did was engraved my first and last initial and last 4 of ssn under the toe plate. Removed it showed them the marks no issue but I cross at Port Huron MI into Sarnia, Ontario I imagine if you crossed from Niagra Falls you would get arrested in NY alone ha ha

I usually cross at the Soo. Think I'm just going to stamp/number the rifle. Better safe than sorry.

We did not have any serial numbers on our custom muzzleloaders, and we did not have any trouble with either U.S. or Canadian customs regarding that. We crossed at Port Huron.

Latest posts

Back