• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Friday shopping with my Crocket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancill

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Headed to the river bottom for some shopping this morning and did quite well. :wink: BTW this was my first hunt with real blackpowder. I find that the real stuff is easier to clean up than Pyrodex.

Dang, I have GOT to find that place where you are shopping :grin: . Both Rabbits and Squirrels at the same place. Nice shootin!!!! DANNY

That's some great shopping! Black (powder) Friday obviously had a sale you couldn't resist.

Found the same using the real stuff-easier cleaning.

Our rabbits prefer feeding on the vegetation around ox bow sloughs which is then surrounded by oaks and beech trees. This is the same ground where I took my first muzzleloader deer this year. Both bunnies were flushed on my way out and then stalked within range.

Fur trader my load is 25 gn 2f .310 ball with pillow ticking cut at muzzle. I want to get some 3f just to see if it shoots even better. Right now it is only an inch group at 40 yards off a bench.

i shoot 30 gr of 3f and a .311 rb out of my 38" flintlock douglas barrel for woodchucks. i get consistent kills and pass throughs out to 80 yards and out to 100 on small chucks. i have shot a couple huge ones at just under 100 yards in the front shoulders, with no pass through, but dropped them on the spot. looking at the info i have, if you went to 3f you could drop your load back quit a bit and still get the same velocity and save alot of powder and have plenty of powder for small game. very good shooting by the way!

Well done Mancill, congratulations! I have been shooting 20 grains of FFFg in my Crockett but several shooters report good accuracy with 10 grains so I will try it. Keep yer powder dry.....robin :bow:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see a few others with traditional muzzleloaders in Texas with all the inlines around today. Good job :thumbsup:

Back