• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Powder at the Western National Shoot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I rode my Royal Enfield out to the Ben Avery range to see what was happening at the NMLRA (National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association) Western National Shoot today (Thurs. Feb 28).

The first thing I noticed was there was no tent set aside from the rest for selling black powder as there usually is.

Asking a guy in the NMLRA, who was selling raffle tickets about it he told me that the normal vendor cancelled out at the last minute and wouldn't be there.

He went on to say the NMLRA is having black powder shipped to them and he expected it to arrive today.

He said the tent would be located over by Traders Row but wasn't exactly sure where it would be set up. Normally, it is some distance from Traders Row because of the hazards.

Now, for the fly in the ointment.

Because the NMLRA is selling the powder this year, all buyers must be members. He went on to say that's the way the Insurance and sales licenses were set up.

When I asked him what happens if someone who isn't a member shows up to buy powder he said, "We can sign them up for membership right here", and showed me the forms.
"If they take this yellow copy over to the power sales tent they can buy as much as they wish."

Knowing that some of you are not members, if you plan on buying your powder at the shoot, plan on spending an additional $40 to join the NMLRA.

I know this seems like a extra expense and it is a lot of money but on the plus side (IMO), you will receive the Muzzle Blasts magazine for a year and despite what some others say it is a pretty good magazine.

Anyway, for those who don't usually bother reading all of the writing in the posts:

BLACK POWDER AT THE WINTER NATIONALS WILL BE SOLD TO NMLRA MEMBERS ONLY THIS YEAR.

Kinda surprised the NMLRA didn't think of of this sooner as a member drive. :idunno:

Thanks for the informative post. It is good that they made the effort to get it there! Geo. T.

Perhaps I just don't know any better but I not only look forward to my new Muzzle Blast magazine each month,I keep all the issues.
There are so many good articles on "how to do's" that I just can't bare to throw them out. MD

Zonie,
Heading North tomorrow. Gonna have dinner with my family then hit Ben Avery on Saturday. See you there?

Zonie said:
snipped. . . . .
Now, for the fly in the ointment.
Because the NMLRA is selling the powder this year, all buyers must be members. He went on to say that's the way the Insurance and sales licenses were set up.
. . . . .
Zonie,
I buy my powder at Friendship during the spring and fall shoots. I haven't ever tried to buy there as a non-member, but believe it's the same at Friendship as it is in Arizona. I have always shown my NMLRA card when I bought powder. I don't believe you have to be a registered shooter though.

Regards,
Pletch

Due to various restrictions we have to require membership to NMLRA in order to sell, its the same at Friendship. Do not need to be a registered shooter. Would like to see NMLRA get involved with mail order sales.

The HAZMAT fee is $25 for shipping for BP.

For $40, you can join the NMLRA, get a magazine and save the HAZMAT fee when buying your powder.

Can a person buy B/P in Phoenix or nearby?

Seems like a deal to me, especially with the whining about buying B/P powder from folks who cannot find it locally.

You gotta be a member at Sam's or Cosco, what is the difference between them and the NMLRA when it comes to shopping?

r

Does anyone know if the Black Powder ever showed. I was there on Saturday and it hadn't showed.

It was a motorcycle that most of you young boys won't remember. Needs a picture Zonie.

Last year and this year there were some challenges in getting powder to the shoot. A promise has been made to make things better next year and I have confidence in the person working on it.

Back