• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder storage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep mine in my basement, I where it's cool and the temps, humidity doesn't change much.
That's the key.. a nice Constance temp with no extreme temp changes.
Don't have kids or creeps around.
I figure with all the modern center-fire ammo I have.
The 50lbs of BP is just icing on the cake.
BTW,50LBS is the max legal amount you can store without a license, if I am not mistaken.
Like to have enought :grin:

Paul,

I'd stay away from wood cases; in the event of a detonation they are as bad, if not worse, than metal. They will produce clouds of splinters which can be worse than chunks of metal. A good compromise would be a wood case lined with a soft, malleable metal like copper. The case would tend to rupture at a corner rather than fracture into splinters.

Also - from the Goex MSDS for black powder: the autoignition temp is 464 deg C (867 deg F); it will ignite at 427 deg C (801 deg F).

I guess I shouldn't argue with someone like the MSDS but they said several things in that paper that I think are hoooie.
Put another way, I disagree with them.

I am rather surprised at the high temperature they say is needed to ignite black powder.
I wonder what their sheet says for Pyrodex or 777?

There was a big discussion on an old Muzzleloading mailing list that included a couple of firemen. Two main things came out of it. One was that there are a fair number of plans for DIY fire resistant powder magazines available from safety organizations and online. The other was was that a freezer, either working or deactivated, makes a surprisingly fireproof magazine. It was observed that the food in one of these is often still frozen in the aftermath of a house fire. The other thing is that many freezers, especially chest types, can be locked. For those who don't need a dedicated magazine, you can just store your "spare" powder in your food freezer, preferably inside plastic bags. After you take the powder out, just leave it in the bag until it warms up to keep condensation off the cans.

Regards,
Joel

I've been using a 18 cubic ft refrigerator to store all of my powder smokeless and BP .It has worked perfectly well for the last ten years, it's very clean and stays well organized. The freezer section has about 35 kinds of powder and the cooler section is full of primers and reloaded ammo. I also have three grandsons so I'm gonna have to slap a lock on both doors pronto

Hodgdon's MSDS for granular Pyrodex says the autoignition point is 740 deg F; for 777 it's 770 deg F. The autoignition point for Pyrodex pellets is claimed to be 500 deg F!

This doesn't make any sense.

The choice of wood for a powder magazine is based on the fact that it is a good insulator- not as good as styrofoam, but better than metal( ammo cans.) And old refrigerator, or box freezer, is designed to keep HEAT OUT, so they are the best choice, and you should be able to mount a hasp and lock on them to keep them secure. I am with Zonie on my skepticism of those published data on flash points. BP ignites at much lower temps. than do the substitutes. The Pyrodex Pellets would ignite at a lower temperature because the bottom of each pellet has BP adhered to the rest of the pellet as a " starter".

ol vern said:
Main Powder house will sell you the same one for $199.

I got beat to the punch! I got mine from Main Powder House for $189, did they go up? After receiving the safe, you need to use plywood to line it. It has casters in case you need to move it around. It will hold 50 pounds.

mykeal said:
Hodgdon's MSDS for granular Pyrodex says the autoignition point is 740 deg F; for 777 it's 770 deg F. The autoignition point for Pyrodex pellets is claimed to be 500 deg F!

Like I said. There were things in that MSDS that I disagree with.

I think the first thing I disagree with was them saying that black powders autoignition point was 464 degrees C . Had they said F I think it would be more correct.

That 500 degree F very likely comes from the BLACK POWDER that coats the rear of the Pyrodex pellets which if true gives some added support to my thinking they shouldn't have said 464 degrees C.

Other things in that document I disagree with is their comment about black powder igniting from static electricity and from impact.
I feel that both of these ideas have been proven wrong.

Sure wish old Bill Knight (Mad Monk) would pop in and give us his version of the ignition temperature and give his advice on the best way to store 20+ pounds of BP at home.

That would be interesting.

Zonie said:
mykeal said:

Like I said. There were things in that MSDS that I disagree with.

I think the first thing I disagree with was them saying that black powders autoignition point was 464 degrees C . Had they said F I think it would be more correct.

That 500 degree F very likely comes from the BLACK POWDER that coats the rear of the Pyrodex pellets which if true gives some added support to my thinking they shouldn't have said 464 degrees C.

Other things in that document I disagree with is their comment about black powder igniting from static electricity and from impact.
I feel that both of these ideas have been proven wrong.
I agree 100%. I regret having quoted that Goex MSDS - it's clearly in error.

GoodCheer said:
Sounds like an old plastic ice chest would be just right.
Not for a powder magazine - you need a combination of shell and insulation that will resist, and hopefully withstand, a fire. And preferably, one that can be locked. Or did I miss something and you are referring to something else?

Regards,
Joel

I Keep About 4# In An Old 50. Ammobox In An Interior Closet. Our House Has Propane Tanks,Airisols,Gasolene Etc. Stored In Garage. If We Ever Have A Fire I've Told Everyone To Run Like Heck And Tell The FD About The Contents. Where I Live It Gets Over 100 Degrees In Summer And Have Never Had Any Problems. House Is Insured,And Could Be Replaced, People Are Not !

I keep my BP in a unplugged refrigerator , it stays within 15 degrees of 70 degrees all year round. The frige is in a shed it don't hurt to put a lock and hasp on it to.

Years ago I used to work in a bullet factory here in town that made 20mm rounds for the army. The escapments came in wooden ammo type boxs and I saved several of them, they had no use for them after they were emptied. I put hinges, handles and latches on two of them. One I use for my blackpowder and muzzleloading supplies and the other for my cartridges.

Back