• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Squirrel rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duke21

40 Cal.
Reaction score
i have been debating over whether to get a small bore 36 cal revolver or a 32 or 36 cal long rifle for small game and squirrel . i have a dealer about an hour away who is trying to help me, but can only get new guns in right now in these calibers. he had mentioned the crocket ,of which is a real sweet little gun, but he also mentioned a more economical single trigger" black Squirrel" i thought he said made by traditions. i cant find anyting on this gun, does anyone know of this little booger ?

just trying to make a somewhat infored decision , i only have some much limited funds right now, feel i can only commit to one thing for a while here. any imput is appreciated.l

duke21

I'm not familiar with the Black Squirrel, but the Crockett is a really sweet shooter alright. Seems I remember a basic, plastic stocked sidelock in the bargain bin at Traditions that was a .32. I don't remember the name, but that might have been it. I took one look at it and went back to trying to decide between the Crockett or the .36, I think it's called the Shanendoah? Anyway, let us know what you find out! :)

quirrels are a low grade pain,almost as bas as a red squirrek, only more meat, but not much. Sic em!!!!

I had a Black Squirrel rifle by Traditions and it was a joy to shoot. It shot maxi's and PRB with just about the same POI. I bought the rifle for my odest son and he eventually sold it to help out his archery habit. Seems like I paid around $130 for that rifle on Auction Arms website.

hey guys we are getting somewhere here. sounds like the crocket is a great little gun, now we have somebody who knows what a black squirrel is. so is this a traditions or ? also the dealer who is offering it, did not make it clear if the stock was wood or plastic. i do know he said it was a single trigger which is ok if it doesnt have a lot of resentance. I am tight on funds and would love the premium gun, but trying to get a revolver as well. i think they could be good woods companions. any more details would be great.

thanks

duke21

In western Massachusetts, particularly in the Westfield area, there are many black squirrels. They were brought over from Eurpoe or England many years ago and have flourished. I've no idea what they taste like, though.

pix2172105860.jpg

pix2172105735.jpg

pix2172105782.jpg

This Traditions .32 Deerhunter is auction #59273051 on[url] gunbroker.com[/url] and ends 11/2 at 1:51:50 PM Eastern Time. The necessary bid to open is $210, and the "buy it now" is $220. Ouch! :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Arcticap,
Ouch, is right!!! Half that would be a
good deal, not great but good. IMO
snake-eyes :hmm:

so is the 32 cal deerhunter the same as a " black Squirrel? i finaly got in touch with traditions yesterday, the guy on the phone is new and really didnt know much about it. the other gentleman in is office said they quit making it 5 to 10 years ago. only real details anybody could give was it was 32 cal and the stock was "epoxy' coated. This doestn really tell me much at all. is the gun you show a deer hunter or black squirrel. if a black squirrel it appears to have tru glo type sights on it which is ok, but what is this epoxy covered stock?

any ideas. i really need to be making up my mind on this thing soon.

duke21

Deer Creek Products in Indiana has the Traditions .32 Deerhunter ($170) and the Traditions .32 Black Squirrel rifle ($149). It is a hardwood stock with a black textured finish which is not epoxy but some sort of factory spray finish intended to give it better weatherproofing (according to the guy at Deer Creek). You might be able to sand it off if you want and refinish the wood to your liking. Also the Black Squirrel has iron sights and the Deerhunter has fiber optics. They also have the CVA .36 Bobcat (referred to as the CVA "Squirrel Rifle" in this caliber) w/hardwood stock ($159). All three have 1:48 twist.

Deer Creek
(765) 525-6181

The black squirrel must be a slightly different rifle with a black wood stock, probably fixed sights.
This Deerhunter has a plastic stock & the adjustable fiber optic sights. It was only available as an internet special up until recently for $139 + shipping from Traditions. This is one of the small number made.

Midsouth has a fantastic Brass and Wood 32 cal. Tradition Crockett for $270.

Don Jackson Remington Magnum/Ultramag

thanks for all your feedback guys. to answer your question, no i have not went in a particular decision yet. got some bad finacial news yesterday that have me upset. Nothing i cant deal with though. I did get to talk to the folks at deer creek, they seem like good people and are fellow hoosiers, i just wish they were open on satucday as i would go see them, but being self employed i understand that you need time away. they answered a lot of my questions on the " black squirrel" and it really sounds like a neat little gun. It is apparent it doesnt have the beautifully grained wood stock the crocket would have, but it does appear it would make a fine gun, and with the paint finish on it, may be pretty tough in the woods. it may be old fashioned, but it has been beating me up trying to find a way to pull this off finacially and give the shop up the road who has helped me out before, my business. sure i like good deals, and god knows i cant afford to through away money, but small honest business' need help these days and those are my thoughts.

it doesnt help any that i found the like new ruger old army for a similar price to the crocket and a lyman 36 revolver for the price of the " squirrel" i trully would like to have them all, but finacially that is just not possible.

many thanks and happy trails,

duke21

I sold all my revolvers after the new wore off. I just did not use them. I carried a third model dragoon for years in the modern deer season as a second shot, but that was it. My 50's see a lot of target use and get used during deer season. My 36 gets more shots thru it a year than all the others combined.

I bought the 36 caliber Bobcat from Midsouth when I wanted a squirrel rifle. Iron fixed sights, wood stock. It has won two matches and finished second at an old fashioned meat shoot. I have never missed a squirrel with it that could be blamed on the gun. The wood is not fancy, and it has a rubber recoil pad. The trigger guard is plastic. There is no under rib. Just a build up with a ramrod ferrule to hold the ramrod.

Unless I was going to spend enough money to get the Crockett rifle or nicer, the little Bobcat is hard to beat. If you can find one, the old CVA Squirrel rifle is the gun you really want. 32 caliber with nice wood, period furniture, and set triggers. They can be hard to find and will cost around 200$ if you find one for sale.

Runner said:
I bought the 36 caliber Bobcat from Midsouth...The wood is not fancy, and it has a rubber recoil pad. The trigger guard is plastic.
Mine has a plastic butt pad and a steel trigger guard. :confused:

Runner said:
...the old CVA Squirrel rifle is the gun you really want. 32 caliber with nice wood, period furniture, and set triggers.
Are we talking about the same gun? The Bobcat is referred to as the 'Squirrel Rifle' in .36 caliber in advertising but it is stamped 'Bobcat' on the barrel. Was there a CVA .32 Squirrel rifle that came before the .36 Bobcat?

Back