• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blacktail Season Opens In Oregon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nw_hunter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
General Blacktail season opens in oregon this Saturday, and this year I'll use the front stuffer to chase them with. My 54 Hawken likes the Hornady's Great Plains, with 80 gr's of Pyrodex RS real well, so this is what I'll use. I'm not quite happy with PRB's, and time is running out at the range. Anyone else going to use a ML to hunt the general season in Or?
There are two theories about how to win an
argument with a woman. Neither one works.

I used to love hunting those when I was a kid. That was before my ML days. I used to hunt the Illinois river area back in the '60s. The same area where that guy got lost and died a few years back. In those days you had to walk or go in by horse in that area. No roads then.

BP season up here in Washington opens week after next. Am taking it off. Sticking close to home this year so staying on this side of the mountains. most likely concentrate on the 450, 448, 437, 428 units.

I drew a ML tag this year but when I don't I still take out a amoothbore for Blacktail in the Coastal mts and Willamette valley brushy swales

I'll be taking my .54 GPR out with me this Saturday. My daughter and I will be hunting on private land up towards Silver Falls.
Scott

Right now, it is archery season here in Connecticut. I do use the muzzleloader in the shotgun season while hunting Massachusetts. We are allowed to do that but a state like Connecticut forbids the use of a muzzleloader during the shotgun/private land rifle season. I had asked a CT game warden about using a muzzleloader in the regular gun season. He told me that you cannot use a muzzleloader in the gun season. He stated that many guys have hunted in that season and had their muzzleloaders confiscated . He emphasized that muzzleloader season is for muzzleloaders.

I happened to ask him that since nothing in the regulation book says that you cannot hunt with a muzzleloader during the regular gun season. It is a case where the state wants you to buy the additional muzzleloader tags.

Rhode Island is the same except I want to say that you could use a smoothbore muzzleloader during the shotgun season.

:grin: "I'll be there", as they say. Couldn't draw a muzzle-loader tag this year, but I"ll hunt the general season with a .62 Fowler this year. Only problem I have is with the center-fire folks scoping everything they see with their rifle scope to look for horns.
We had 2" of rain yesterday, now all we need is a frost or good storm to flatten the ferns. Good hunting to you all. :v

Ferns? You telling me there are ferns in the coastal area of Oregon?...LOL Luck to ya!!

Here it is Saturday, the second weekend of the gen. deer season, and Does everywhere.Took two of the grandkids out today, and all we saw were doe's.(Not a buck)Another thing absent were hunters! Twenty years ago, the woods would have been full of hunters on the weekend.I sort of like having the woods to myself, but I fear it looks bad for hunting in general.We just don't have the interest in hunting like when I was a kid.Sad for the sport :( Took the 50 cal today, so tomorrow it will be the 54.Just might change my luck!
The most wasted day of all is one in which we have
not laughed.

Back