• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

blanket gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

srottman

36 Cal.
Reaction score
From what position is a blanket gun aimed and fired? from the shoulder. or like a pistol

They are fired like all fantasy guns;however you want.The only instance of which I am aware where "blanket guns" may have been used was on May 7, 1763 where Pontiac supposedly entered Fort Detroit with a picked group of warriors and found Major Gladwin, the British commander forewarned. Pontiac and his warriors thereupon withdrew without a shot being fired.I have never seen any real documented evidence of the accuracy of this account and it seems more likely to be in the realm of urban myths.
Tom Patton

Since the butt stock is drastically shortened, I would think firing from the shoulder would be pretty awkward. My strictly uneducated guess is that it would be fired using a 2 hand hold either from the hip or with the arms somewhat extended. FWIW. Emery

Usually they were fired from the back of a running pony into the side of a cow buffalo at the distance of a few feet and usually by an Indian. They are not fantasy guns unless you are talking east of the Mississippi and before 1800... and in most cases white.

Sean

I think that it should be recognized that these so called "blanket guns" were supposed to have been guns with shortened barrels and must be distinguished from the several known guns with BOTH stocks and barrels being shortened and which are considered to have originated on the western plains and used from the back of a horse.A good example is illustrated by Charles E. Hanson Jr.on P.64 of "The Northwest Gun" and described as "an Indian pistol made from a Leman flintlock fusil" Another one turned up at a gun show a year or so ago and was bought by a friend.
Tom Patton

A blanket gun is fired while laying in the fetal position, sucking your thumb. But only after Mommy has tucked you in! :grin: Opps, I'm sorry, that's a blankey gun!

dgold said:
A blanket gun is fired while laying in the fetal position, sucking your thumb. But only after Mommy has tucked you in! :grin: Opps, I'm sorry, that's a blankey gun!

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

One of these guns was found in a creek on South Pass some years ago. The barrel cut very short and the stock cut behind the wrist.
The gun was covered in heavy rust and most of the wood gone. There was enough left to see that it had been a NW gun. :thumbsup:

redwing said:
One of these guns was found in a creek on South Pass some years ago. The barrel cut very short and the stock cut behind the wrist.
The gun was covered in heavy rust and most of the wood gone. There was enough left to see that it had been a NW gun. :thumbsup:

Redwing,

You reckon that one was a 'trout gun'? :rotf:

Sean

Okwaho said:
I think that it should be recognized that these so called "blanket guns" were supposed to have been guns with shortened barrels and must be distinguished from the several known guns with BOTH stocks and barrels being shortened and which are considered to have originated on the western plains and used from the back of a horse.A good example is illustrated by Charles E. Hanson Jr.on P.64 of "The Northwest Gun" and described as "an Indian pistol made from a Leman flintlock fusil" Another one turned up at a gun show a year or so ago and was bought by a friend.
Tom Patton

Shortened NW guns were all over the map in terms of how much and where they were shortened. It largely depended on how far out the bulge or split in the barrel was or whether the owner fell off his pony and busted the stock. Hence the modern conventions of what constitutes a 'canoe gun' or a 'blanket gun' are just that. Personally, I prefer the term used for the sawed off double barrel in the fine movie 'Army of Darkness'... 'Boom Stick'. :wink:

Sean

SEAN!

BLANKET AND CANOE GUNS AS DEFINED TYPES,
AD NAUSEUM AD INFINITUM

Why do we bother ?
Tom Patton :bow: :surrender: :v

Okwaho said:
AD NAUSEUM AD INFINITUM

Why do we bother ?
Tom Patton
Yeah, not defined TYPES, but the fact remains...THEY WERE IN USE regardless of when/where/how they evolved.

mazo kid said:
Since the butt stock is drastically shortened, I would think firing from the shoulder would be pretty awkward. My strictly uneducated guess is that it would be fired using a 2 hand hold either from the hip or with the arms somewhat extended. FWIW. Emery
That would be my guess too, if you're shooting one like this Blanket Gun. If you're shooting one with a bit longer stock like so Blanket Gun 2 (top gun in second pic), you might be able to fire from the chest as well, sort of like some of the old late medieval guns.

We ought to come up with a new category for Canoe/Blanket/Buff Runner guns. We could collectively call them Can o' Worm Guns. :shake: :haha:

Sean said:
redwing said:

Redwing,

You reckon that one was a 'trout gun'? :rotf:

Sean

Naw, probably useless for trout too.

Okwaho said:
SEAN!

AD NAUSEUM AD INFINITUM

Why do we bother ?

Tom, that's why I like 'Boomstick' for a name. Its both unfinitum and only slightly nauseum. It also has much more advertising mileage than my prior favorite names for these guns, 'oops or ouch-guns' (referring to blowing it up with an unseated unpatched ball or falling off a horse with it). And the name works wonderfully whether you are shooting running buffalo, blankets, canoes, trout, or the evil dead of the movie. To answer the original question, any such 'boomstick' in any of its multiple guises or categories would have to be wielded just as it was in the movie, one-handed for drama, striking a good pose for the cameras, and minimal accuracy.

I hope you know I'm just kidding around with you and we agree on most things on this issue including not bothering to classify.

Sean

Sean said:
Okwaho said:
SEAN!

AD NAUSEUM AD INFINITUM

Why do we bother ?

Tom, that's why I like 'Boomstick' for a name. Its both unfinitum and only slightly nauseum. It also has much more advertising mileage than my prior favorite names for these guns, 'oops or ouch-guns' (referring to blowing it up with an unseated unpatched ball or falling off a horse with it). And the name works wonderfully whether you are shooting running buffalo, blankets, canoes, trout, or the evil dead of the movie. To answer the original question, any such 'boomstick' in any of its multiple guises or categories would have to be wielded just as it was in the movie, one-handed for drama, striking a good pose for the cameras, and minimal accuracy.

I hope you know I'm just kidding around with you and we agree on most things on this issue including not bothering to classify.

Sean

I KNEW THAT; and see my next post :thumbsup: :bow:
Tom Patton

mazo kid said:
Okwaho said:
AD NAUSEUM AD INFINITUM

Why do we bother ?
Tom Patton
Yeah, not defined TYPES, but the fact remains...THEY WERE IN USE regardless of when/where/how they evolved.

So were slingshots, smooth round river rocks, and plain old sticks. :v :wink:
Tom Patton

Okwaho said:
mazo kid said:
Okwaho said:
AD NAUSEUM AD INFINITUM

Why do we bother ?
Tom Patton

So were slingshots, smooth round river rocks, and plain old sticks. :v :wink:
Tom Patton
Oh, I agree; but then they weren't called blanket sling shots or canoe rocks! :rotf:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back