• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blasting away!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
At our woodpigeon again. Not many came in and although some poor shots I did manage a few good ones including a double!

The gun was due a good clean and not been done since spring, misfires were getting to often and the left tube was badly leaded.
All done with just water, cold and then hot :hatsoff:

Brits.

:thumbsup: On the Double!..
Great picture!..Keep them coming!
Love to see how others Hunt!
Beautiful day!.....dan

Brits I gotta say "I can't go to bed" with a Fowled bore.
A bronze brush and solvent speed up the process of cleaning for lead removal.
Could you break down the process with just water method ?....
Thanks for sharing.....dan

makeumsmoke said:
:thumbsup: On the Double!..
Great picture!..Keep them coming!
Love to see how others Hunt!
Beautiful day!.....dan

Brits I gotta say "I can't go to bed" with a Fowled bore.
A bronze brush and solvent speed up the process of cleaning for lead removal.
Could you break down the process with just water method ?....
Thanks for sharing.....dan

Dan, I realised cold water and boiling water loosen lead from the chromed barrels. I noticed it first in a 12g cartridge gun I would use black powder reloads in....poring hot water in one day and followed with a tight patch the lead flew out!

Since then any hard to remove lead gets the hot water treatment in my shotguns if they be auto, pump or my favourite....front stuffers!

Brits :hatsoff:

Britsmoothy said:
Not many came in....

You are stirring fond memories from my youth, when a farmer friend got tired of pigeons in and around his barn stealing grain and making messes. An invitation for pigeon shooting followed, and the feathers really flew. Sorry I didn't shoot muzzleloaders in those days.

Though the squabs were plucked and roasted with relish, we found a great use for the old birds. We boned them out and made summer sausage. To this day that was about the best I've ever tasted.

Brit's :thumbsup:
Will give your lead removal method a shot!..Thank you!

:grin: dan

Back