• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blizzard warnings

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bioprof

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Today is our first day of muzzleloader season, which I'm going to take advanteage of this evening. We have blizzard warnings posted for tomorrow though, with 4-8 inches of snow possible, high winds, and temperatures dropping below zero by Monday. Have any of you hunted during a blizzard? It seems to me that you could sneak up on the deer easier with the wind howling. They might also be easier to get close to since they would be in the cover. I guess you'd have to be careful of frostbite if the wind chill got too bad though.

I think that it would be kind of foolish to go out hunting in true blizzard conditions. You could easily get turned around & be in real trouble. I'm as avid of a hunter as anyone, but I don't think I'd put my life on the line to be out there. :shake: :surrender:

Both hunter and game are at a disadvantage. I would be leery of heading out. I saw on TV windchills of negative 50 are predicted. Do you have the clothing to deal with that ?

Anyways. If I were to go out I would seek any sort of thick evergreen cover that I could find. As an example, if we were to get a blizzard I would head to the cedar swamps that I know of. That is the main thing deer will be looking for.Think cover and shelter from the storm.

As i mentioned I love to stalk in a heavy wet snow but if it gets to stormy take shelter bro we`d hate to hear they found ya frooze in a snow drift. :nono:
Otherwise good huntin. :thumbsup:

Take your compass or GPS and be smart, about your own well being as well as the location of the deer. I do it and enjoy it, but especially with blowing snow your range estimation can be haywire.

One thing for sure- Any tracks you see are gonna be FRESH!

Just think if you go out in that deadly weather, you could be this forums Hatchet Jack of 2008. :)
First write your will on a piece of cotton cloth, telling everyone that your going to leave your rifle to 10 Gauge when your frozzen body is found. :grin:
Really, dont go out in that manure its not worth it.

when I was a younger man I hunted in bitter cold, windy weather (10-20 deg F) here in the mtns but no more for me. one thing to consider is the chilling your hands will get when you go to field dress your kill.

I will go along with the rest and say that be safe first of all. If you do go out look in the deep heavy bush, where they can get a lot of protection from the wind. You will also have to look real close, because they will sit tight. I used to hunt in all weather, but the arthritis has slowed me down some and now I wait for better conditions.

bioprof said:
Today is our first day of muzzleloader season, which I'm going to take advanteage of this evening. We have blizzard warnings posted for tomorrow though, with 4-8 inches of snow possible, high winds, and temperatures dropping below zero by Monday. Have any of you hunted during a blizzard? It seems to me that you could sneak up on the deer easier with the wind howling. They might also be easier to get close to since they would be in the cover. I guess you'd have to be careful of frostbite if the wind chill got too bad though.

1st of all your weather man is smokin crack! Al Bore has stated plainly that the globe is warming. Helloooooo?? :wink:
Some of the best hunting I have EVER had was during the most inclament weather. Just hunt smart; lee sides of the hill with food avail.

i wouldnt hunt in a blizzard. Any game out there will be bedded down in thick stuff. You're better to wait it out and get outside as soon as the weather calms down. :thumbsup:

I've hunted deer when it was so bitter cold they did not want to get up out of their beds. Even when I spotted them and walked up they would just look at me but would not get up.

But, there was no snow flying. If the snow had been coming down it would have hidden them completely.

Even with no wind, at -38f it was not that much fun. :(

Now, right after the strom breaks... that's the time to be out there. :)

Wait until after the storm blows through. Every critter is gonna be bedded down until the storm blows over. But once it has, every one of those animals is gonna be out and about trying to find some food. That would be the best time to get em. Stay safe and stay warm!!!! :hatsoff:

I just went back out today to the last area that I went hunting before the storm set in, and there were lots of tracks heading into the shelterbelt from the surrounding farm land. Saw one gut pile right in the middle of the road. DAMM roadhunters! :shake:

Back