• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blue Ridge / Hatfield barrel screws

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPalmer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck finding a supplier for the screws that fasten the barrel and stock together on the blue Ridge or hatfield rifles? I have searched eveywhere with no success. Cabelas said they are not available. The local home improvement and hardware stores could not produce a fix for me. I believe they are metric but can not identify the thread size.

Go look on the official website of Pedersoli. They have an English version. Look up the gun. Each weapon has a PDF scheme/plan where all the parts of the gun are displayed - (like if you take the gun apart). Each part takes a number that you find in the list beneath the plan. Through an official Pedersoli dealer you should be able to order those parts. They also have a list of official dealers on their website. I recently ordered spare parts through my dealer in Belgium and got them delivered in about 10 days....

Have you tried trial-n-error, or is it you simply haven't been able to find the thread pitch? I ask as I would simply unship the barrel from the stock and go to the metric screw containers at my local hardware, and start trying to see what fits in any screw tipe, slotted or hexagon or anything else... then when the pitch was determined, figure out if there was a proper slotted head screw to fit. If I could only find it in a hexagonal screw or something else that would thread but the head wasn't compatible, I'd start looking at ways to modify them to make them work.

Pedersoli parts tend to be very pricey, and I hate having to depend on overseas parts.

LD

Richard Beauchamp should have them or be able to get them for you. What happened to the screws that were in there?

Loyalist Dave said:
Have you tried trial-n-error, or is it you simply haven't been able to find the thread pitch? I ask as I would simply unship the barrel from the stock and go to the metric screw containers at my local hardware, and start trying to see what fits in any screw tipe, slotted or hexagon or anything else... then when the pitch was determined, figure out if there was a proper slotted head screw to fit. If I could only find it in a hexagonal screw or something else that would thread but the head wasn't compatible, I'd start looking at ways to modify them to make them work...
LD

I have always had success doing this, SOMETIMES at Home Despot. But I also have a big local shop that has to take me to another usually-unstaffed building where they have screws galore...

Yes, they may not be regularly-headed screws. Machine screws/bolts as likely as not...

This is not as hard of a nut to crack as you might think. You first need to know three things, the length of the screw that you need, the diameter of the screw and the thread pitch. All easy stuff to figure out. First determine the length that you need by looking at the stock and barrel to see how long the screw needs to be. Then take the part that the screw screws into to the local hardware store and start trying various bolts to see which one fits the threads on your gun ( I don't know for sure, but I think the screw goes into the bottom of the barrel so you will be trying to fit screws into the female threads. Don't worry about the length of the bolt that you are working with because you are not going to buy it, you are just using it to find the proper thread pitch. Okay, once you have this information, call Track of The Wolf or Dixie Gun Works or Muzzleloader Builder's Supply or Deer Creek Products in Waldron Indiana (All can be found online) and ask for the size screws that you need. All of these places keep a big supply of gun parts and can even possibly tell you what screw you need and save you going to the hardware store but it is best to know what you want when you call anyway. Now, wasn't that easy?

Oops! I just read all of the answers that you got to your question and I think Rusty Nail gave you the best advice. Just do what he says. You can use my information just as a fall back in the rare event that The places that Rusty suggested don't have your screws.

Thanks to all who offered advice.I'm going to place an order with the suppliers mentioned. The previous owner of this rifle did not use a proper fitting screwdriver and "boogered" the screw heads. Most of the European guns,do not use properly heat treated screws and parts in my opinion. I have owned quite a few black powder revolvers and pistols that have also suffered from "soft parts". Thanks to everyone that offered help. I really appreciate it.

RPalmer said:
The previous owner of this rifle did not use a proper fitting screwdriver and "boogered" the screw heads.

The Frontier/Blue Ridge rifles have a few issues passed on from the Hatfield, and easily "boogering up" the slots on the screws is one that is quite common. The slots were kept minimal to fit the ramrod. A really crappy design! :shake:

If you plan to pull the barrel when cleaning, and find a supplier, I suggest to order a few extras!

And also grind down a #2 screwdriver to make the tip flat, but as thick as the screw slot (fine tune it to fit a new screw before putting one on the rifle!). It will reduce the possibility of the boogering!

Last edited by a moderator:
When I got my Blue Ridge I bought some spare parts in case I dropped something and lost it. One was this screw. I mic'ed it up at .194 dia and used a scale to estimate the thread pitch.

A table of metric screw size idicates a best guess from me that the screw is M5 x 0.8. Length of the threaded part is 2 mm. Overall length is .230, (5.84 mm)

Rusty, shouldn't everyone here own a halfway decent set of hollow-ground gunsmith screwdrivers?

Hey, great minds think alike!

Alden said:
Hey, great minds think alike!

...and my dad called it 'running in the same rut'. Nobody ever called him Mr. Sympathy...and yes there's a joke that goes with that too!

If you have a Fastenal store in your town or nearby take them a sample, they had what i was looking for in stock but the manager told me he could get just about anything under the sun and would special order anything he didnt have. I priced a screw set from Richard but cant remember if it was something he had in stock or not.

creek

KV Rummer said:
When I got my Blue Ridge I bought some spare parts in case I dropped something and lost it.

Just curious.....from whom did you buy the spare parts? Cabela's is the retailer for the Blue Ridge guns and they normally don't handle parts, so were they purchased from a different company? I just received a Blue Ridge percussion and would like to get a couple of spares myself.

Thanks 303. I'm aware of VTI and Flintlocks, Etc. but wondered if there is an alternate source. As an aside, Pedersoli parts from either supplier are not cheap, so I am hoping for the best as far as necessity for future repairs.

Black Jack said:
Thanks 303. I'm aware of VTI and Flintlocks, Etc. but wondered if there is an alternate source. As an aside, Pedersoli parts from either supplier are not cheap, so I am hoping for the best as far as necessity for future repairs.

You're right about cost - I needed two really small screws from VTI and by the time I paid postage and handling they cost me $13.85.

Back