• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blue Tongue...........Again!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I had to put down a beautiful 8 point buck this evening suffering terribly from what I strongly suspect was blue tongue (EHD). This was done, of course, with our Conservation Officer's permission and urging.

We have battled bouts of blue tongue for several years now. I was hopeful that with all the wet weather that we had this Spring and Summer, that it wouldn't rear it's ugly head again.

I have noticed a lot of the biting midges or gnats in the last week that spread the disease from cattle to our whitetail. With only a couple of weeks of very dry weather, the gnats seemed to appear from nowhere.

I sure hope that it won't be as prevalent as in years past.

Are any of you facing blue tongue this year?

Best regards, Skychief

Sorry to hear it's back and I sure hope it doesn't become prevalent again.

We've been fortunate in Minnesota to have avoided EHD and for the most part CWD (only a couple of wild deer have ever tested positive, both close to elk farms.) Surprising considering one or both of these diseases have been prevalent in bordering states very close. We did have an outbreak of Bovine Tuberculosis in NW MN and the DNR drastically downsized the herd in that area through lots of extra permits and sharp shooters.

Here's hoping you don't find any more infected deer.

We've got it where I live and hunt. It was really bad 3-4 years ago, but seems to have tapered off to some degree as of late. When it was bad, I was finding 4-5 dead deer every time I went for a walk in the woods.

I'm from Missouri and it happens every year here. That being said some years are diffently worse than others. In 2013 it devastated some herds in our area including our own. This year I've heard of a few random sights of dead deer due to EHD but nothing like in the past. Hope it's about over with for he year soon.

We are finding more dead deer. This week, two very mature bucks were found on a property I am working on. The biggest, a 180", 12 point. The other, a 10 point, not very much smaller.

I found another young buck where I hunt a lot.

A friend called this evening to report finding a mature doe, all but dead while raking his hayfield.

Are any wildlife agencies investigating any measures to lessen or eradicate this stuff from our whitetail herds? I know of none.

Just sad to see, Skychief

I've never seen a coyote eat on a deer that has succumbed to EHD. I've kept tabs on the buck that I put down on 9/9. It's very visible in a ripe soybean field. Nothing has touched it except the flies, not a coyote, not a buzzard.

After the big outbreak a few years ago here, we found dozens of deer skeletons which looked neatly placed. Nothing would touch them.

Best regards, Skychief.

Spent the day squirrel hunting and deer scouting. Two mature does were found dead. Each died with no water nearby. My understanding of EHD is that they are usually found in/near water. I suspect many of these are dying of something else .

Any ideas guys? Heaven forbid we are facing CWD!

Best regards, Skychief

Back