• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blunderbuss Patterning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJohnson2023

40 Cal
Reaction score
After finding out that 28 gauge wads fit into the traditions .54 percussion blunderbuss, I have decided to run some tests with red claybuster wads. I used distances of 20-25 yards for my tests. It appears that the heavier loads are blown, with holes in the pattern. I think that this may be due to the explosive push of the 2f Goex I used, whereas I feel as though my initial test pattern with 3f 777 was much better.

The lighter loads out performed the heavier, more powder and shot intensive loads. The best load was 50 grains of 2f Goex, .54 felt wad over powder, claybuster 28 gauge wad, 50 gr of #6 shot, and .54 felt wad over shot. At 25 yards this load put 49 pellets onto a piece of cardboard roughly 20 inches by 20 inches.

I am dealing with a very apparent donut hole in each pattern that I feel could be corrected with 777 but that will have to be tested. Inside 20 yards, preferably 15, the pattern is very good. What more can you ask from a 16 inch cylinder bore barrel?
I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts. Watch yer top knots

After finding out that 28 gauge wads fit into the traditions .54 percussion blunderbuss, I have decided to run some tests with red claybuster wads. I used distances of 20-25 yards for my tests. It appears that the heavier loads are blown, with holes in the pattern. I think that this may be due to the explosive push of the 2f Goex I used, whereas I feel as though my initial test pattern with 3f 777 was much better.

The lighter loads out performed the heavier, more powder and shot intensive loads. The best load was 50 grains of 2f Goex, .54 felt wad over powder, claybuster 28 gauge wad, 50 gr of #6 shot, and .54 felt wad over shot. At 25 yards this load put 49 pellets onto a piece of cardboard roughly 20 inches by 20 inches.

I am dealing with a very apparent donut hole in each pattern that I feel could be corrected with 777 but that will have to be tested. Inside 20 yards, preferably 15, the pattern is very good. What more can you ask from a 16 inch cylinder bore barrel?
I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts. Watch yer top knots
More shot less powder seems to be a rule
Try some folded paper over the shot instead of thick card wad, works for me

Back