• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bobcat 50 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimKok

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello You All
I have a quick question I was looking at getting a cva bobcat muzzleloader at a local gun store I was woundering if they are worth the money they want 125.00 for it.

Sounds like a fair price in good condition. Be sure to check the bore got rust and pits. You can learn a lot with that Bob Cat. Later, after you get your next rifle or two or ehree, you can use the Bob Cat as a loaner rifle for a buddy or family member who may want to go muzzle loader hunting with you. I know CVA's are not top of the line, but they are good shooters.

In good shape, I'd pay that for it. I've had a 36 cal Bobcat for years, and it's still going strong. No frills, but functional and accurate. Not many (any?) functional and accurate muzzleloaders you can pick up for only $125.

I have one that I started with, it has the plastic stock on it. Bought it for $60 from Basspro thought I was wasting my money. Dang thing proved me wrong, shot real good. Even with my cleaning mistakes it still shoots real well. Do some looking around on the net and see if you can still find them and what they are going for.

I'll go with the others. If it's in good shape $125 is a fair price. I'd offer them a little less first to see if they will take it. They usually will and so they mark them up a little to allow for that.

This is showing as a response to Moorman, but it is actually a general question to all those who have responded to the OP.
I bought the wood stocked version of a Bobcat made by Traditions. As I understand it, they are identical in every way except the name stamped on the barrel.
I thought it would be a good starter rifle for a great-nephew. There was no bore light available at the time, so the owner allowed me to run some cleaning patches down the bore to check for rust and roughness. Everything seemed OK.
After the first session shooting it a problem showed up. Every, and I mean every, patch used in cleaning stuck at the breech so bad that the cleaning rod had to be secured in a vise to remove it from the barrel. Aside from it being a major pain, it indicates to me that there is a gap between the face of the breech plug and the bottom of the threads. In my opinion, the rifle isn’t safe to shoot.
It has since been replaced by a TC Renegade that I got for the same price I paid for the Bobcat. I told my nephew to keep the Bobcat to insure it doesn’t wind up in the hands of someone who thinks a good load is 120 grain of 3f and a Maxi ball.
Anyway, have any of you Bobcat owners had similar experiences?

I had one with the toy stock. If i remember right, that gun sold new at Wally World for the huge price of 59.99! Got mine at a yardsale for 25.00 just for the lock and barrel parts. Thats about what it should have sold new for! The barrel was always rough and the lock sp :hmm: ring seemed too springy.

I bought a Bobcat new, old stock, plastic stock for $60 two years ago and gave it to my grandson as a present. He has proceeded to work up a load and is giving me a run at anything target. Now to see if he can do the same hunting. A very good buy.
I saw no problems at all with the lock, stock or barrel. I have had much more of an issue with reliability with the more expensive Italian types.
By the way, after you have seen a grandson bounce you grandfather's 1934 32 special of a rock or two, you learn to appreciate at least one use for the plastic stock.

I have had issues with the patch getting caught on occasion but nothing I could not screw a cleaning jag on the other end and pull out. Might be your jag your using or in my case my jag. Don't really know. :idunno:
I even nailed three brass tacks in the side of the forearm made it look better. :youcrazy:

Picked up a used one at a local gun show recently for $50.00. Needed a good cleaning and has a few scuffs on the the plastic stock. No problems with cleaning patches getting stuck in the breech end. Haven't fired it yet but, all-in-all, seems like a good value for the money. Am thinking of either giving it to a nephew for Christmas (already gave him a front loading shotgun) or maybe even selling it just to recoup my investment.

I picked up three of them for use teaching newbies at the club. One was unfired, one in good shape and one with a rough barrel which I had reamed to a smooth bore for ball or shot. I also picked up three CVA frontier rifles for the same purpose. So far a couple hundred rounds through each and no problems. However they are all percussion.

I got a Mountain Stalker with the plastic stock which is basically the same gun.

I like it and I don't like it. It is most accurate with low power charges, but it slaps me in the cheek every time. I even put enough lead under the butt plate to make it over 10 lbs and it still gives me a slap.

Believe you're experiencing Stock Geometry 101. Length of pull and drop at cheek rest and butt make all the difference in the world. The butt stock is probably the most important part of the whole rifle effecting accuracy and comfort. You could try using duct tape to fit pads on top and at the cheek location to see what's the most comfortable set up before making permanent changes to the stock.

Well am now a owner of a 50 cal bobcat but I haven't gotten it to the range yet I hoping it will be just as much fun as my deerhunter

They are pretty good little rifles. I sold one new in the box to a friend last year for $75. He really likes it. Just a basic lock, stock and barrel. I would say that a used one in excellent condition would be worth 100. - 125.

Well took the Bobcat to the range and I have to say that I was very happy with it. :grin: But one question every time I cock the hummer back and pulled the trigger it would due nothing I would have to do it it again and then it fired the round I did clean the hummer it help a little could it be anything else

Better details. Are you saying the cap didn't go off until the second try? If that's it you probably need a new nipple. Sounds like the cap isn't going on the nipple all the way and after two tries it smashes it down.

Mooman76 said:
Better details. Are you saying the cap didn't go off until the second try? If that's it you probably need a new nipple. Sounds like the cap isn't going on the nipple all the way and after two tries it smashes it down.
This is a very likely cause.
A new nipple and proper sized caps and you will be good to go.

Back