• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Boogerbench

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbo15563

40 Cal.
Reaction score
The Website below has plans for an ambidextrious portable shooting bench made out of 1/3 sheet plywood and two folding table legs - very simple and inexpensive.

Boogerbench

Has anyone built or used one of these?

Jimbo

I haven't used one but have seen one simular to it. it seemed very shakey when the guy was in the shooting position and I shake enough with out the bench pronounceing it more for me. :m2c:

Woody

About 20 years ago I built a bench that looked a lot like the booger bench. I used folding legs from Northern Tools and 3/4 in plywood. I used a 2X8 with a V shaped, padded cradle on the front end of it. I had to cut the legs off a chair so I had the right chair height. I cut the top to a similar shape but only had it cut for a right hand shooter. I used it for about 4 years til someone sat on it and the legs collapsed. I found he had not locked the leg brace in. It was very sturdy for its intended use and had no wobble when it was set up right. I took the plastic leg caps off and shoved a dowel into the hollow leg with a small nail in the end to keep the legs from sliding in the dirt. Worked well for me. :m2c:

I've not seen or used that bench but I do have a cheap home made bench that I like.

Mine uses a folding workbench (aka Black and Decker workmate) with the clamping table top as a base. I bought mine at a discount store for under $20. I took a 2'x4' sheet of 3/4" plywood and mounted 2 lengths of 2x4's under it at a 90 degree angle to each other and angled at about 20 degrees to the long axis of the plywood top. The long 2x4 is for stiffening and to give something for the base to clamp to. The shorter 2x4 is placed to act as a locating point for the front of the plywood in relation to the base. I cut a section out of the left rear side to allow me to scoot in like other shooting tables (I'm right handed). When set up, the base is angled from the line of fire such that when using a folding chair, my legs stradle the rearmost leg. I also built a simple front rest out of some 2 bys and use a rear sandbag type rest I picked up at walmart.
It looks a little funny with the top and base being at different angles but it is fairly stable and works well enough that I have shot 1/2" groups at 100 yards off of it.

Sorry for the complex description, it really isn't that complicated to build. I don't have any pictures of it right now but if anyone is interested I could try to take some and post them.

Not too long ago I moved from the "kid's table" that was a folding card table to the adult table at family get-to-gathers.
After a short time the joints in folding legs get lose. Once lose, the table will move in any direction at any moment for no good reason. You could pull it all apart, run new rivets, or save yourself a headache. :imo: :results:

Speaking of shooting benches..I have been seeing shooters lay the front end of thier rifles on wood blocks...parts of the bench, etc. Now please correct me if I am wrong here....but whenever I was sighting in a rifle (modern center fire) one never laid the forestock or barrel on anything except sandbags or some mound of soft material. Doing otherwise would throw your shot off. Are muzzleloading arms different?

Dang...here I thought this was a thread where I might find a way of fixing my nose without the wife always bitching at me..... :crackup: :crackup:

Back