• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Book for Building Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flinter987

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could give
me the name of a good book for building
a flintlock fullstock long rifle. I am thinking
of a style that could be found around 1840.
Thank-You very much,
Fred

The one most of us probably started with: Dixon's "The Art of building the Pennsylvania Longrifle".

There are newer ones, but not necessarily better ones. :winking:

ONE BOOK THAT IS CONSISTENTLY RECOMMENDED IS PETER ALEXANDER GUNSMITH OF GRENVILLE COUNTY. HIS SITE IS[url] http://www.gunsmithofgrenvillecounty.com/index.php?sel=books[/url]
YOU MAY WANT TO GET A COPY THRU THE WORLDCAT LIBRARY LOAN SYSTEM FOR REVIEW IF YOUR UNSURE. (AND SOME OF THE BOOKS BY GEO. SHUMWAY.) I WOULD READ IT CAREFULLY AS I FOUND IT SOMEWHAT HARD TO FOLLOW IN PLACES, BUT HE IS AN EXCELLENT BUILDER.
I LIKE THAT HE REFERS YOU TO OTHER RESOURCES FOR PHOTOS AND THE LIKE. THIS WILL HELP YOU TO ZERO IN ON THE SPECIFIC "SCHOOL" OR STYLE YOU DESIRE. tHE TIME YOU ARE LOOKING AT IS THE LATE GOLDEN AGE. TRADITIONAL BRAOQUE AND ROCCO CARVING AND EMBELLISHMENTS ARE ON THE WANE AS MORE LOCALIZED "DUTCH" STYLIZED WORK IS BECOMING MORE COMON; THE PERCUSSION ERA IS COMING IN...
I ALSO HAVE NO CLUE HOW MANY PIECES YOU HAVE BUILT, SO PLEASE FORGIVE MY IGNORANCE, BUT IF TIME PERMITS STUDY THE VARIOUS STYLES, MAKE NOTES OF WHAT YOU LIKE/DISLIKE, LOOK AT AS MANY PICTURES AS POSSIBLE AND YOU WILL FIND A MORE WHOLISTIC MENTAL IMAGE OF THE PIECE WILL COME TO YOU. MANY OF THE RIFLES OUT HERE ARE GOOD, BUT EXCELLENCE REQUIRES GOOD BALANCE OF ARCHITECTURE, SMOOTH LINES, GOOD CARVING/ENGRAVING, INLETTING AND THE LIKE. REMEMBER IF YOU ARE PUTTING YOUR NAME ON IT YOU WILL WANT IT TO REFLECT THE BEST THAT YOU CAN DO.
:yakyak: I GUESS THAT ALL IS A BIT GABBY...SHOULD NOT CHECK SITE AFTER TOO MUCH COFFEE... :shocked2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive got all three of those, plus Foxfire 5, and number of other sources including much of ewhat has been put on here (including Mikes excellent tutorial) so go figure!:thumbsup:
Some guys ... like me ... need all the help they can get! :surrender:

Has anyone got and seen those "Grenville Vidoes"? I have not seen them ...

Davy
:hmm:

The Gunsmith of Grenville County, building the American longrifle new illustrated instruction manual, spiral bound, by Peter A. Alexander . . . $39.95

My favorite book. But, you should buy as many different books pertaining to the subject as you can.

I started in 1970 with Recreating the Kentucky Rifle at 15. Good book. Newer version is much better. Too much overanalyzing in that other book.

Well if mine isn't returned I'll hunt him down. :haha: I'm sure that he's reading it now, if he can see past all of the lamp black smudges.

The trouble with building a long rifle is you'll probably want eye candy. You'll look through that builders book and want to try some of that, and some of this. Next thing before ya know it you're ordering reference books (it's a good thing).And all that does is feed the frenzy. Then, when you think you'll attempt that butt carving that you decided wasn't too complicated, you found out the chisels you have aren't gonna get it done, so you go and order a few gouges ( another good thing). Before ya know what happened your wife says to ya..."What's this credit card charge for $400 ? " And your thinking, " Gee that was close, I guess the back order will be on next month"s bill." Then you can say YOU WERE BITTEN BY THE BUILDING BUG! Welcome to the club!!!.....Geo.

I really would recommend both books. You won't regret it. Kinda late for the Flint era, though they were still built then, for trade to the indians, and for old geezers that figured that them new fangled percussin guns just wouldn't catch on. I would start with a plain simple Tennessee Mountian rifle. It spans a pretty long period. The Soddy-Daisey's span that time frame.
5165-01.jpg

5165-07.jpg

5165-10.jpg

But definitely get both books. that's my thoughts. I have both and use both almost weekly.

Bill

I started with nothing and still have most of it left!

Kinda happened to me too. I went and got therapy. Did not help slid back into old habits. I still srool over new tools and pics on this forum. Anyone have sugestions or ideas to change my wayward behaviors?

JUST FOR FUN..... IS A "SROOL" A MEDICAL CONDITION WHERE ONE STARES AND DROOLS AT THE SAME TIME???

:hmm: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Thank-You very much for all that info.
I'll have to look up some of those books.
I know flint is a little late for the era I'm talking of but I would really like to try one sometime. I guess I'll be one of those old timers
who don't really trust the percussion yet.
Bill, that is a very nice looking rifle. Is that one of those tennessee mountain rifles you're talking about?
Where is a good place to get more info on them?
P.S.
Does anyone know where I could get a good beginners kit
for a tennessee mountain rifle, a poor boy? rifle,
or a Bean rifle for under $500?

Flinter, Tennessee Valley MANUFACTURING has Tennessee poor boys with a GM or Longhammock barrel and a Siler lock for under $400. I bought one and for the $$'s it is as good as any other kit out there. The standard wood is very plain but it can be upgraded. Kurt/IL

Back