• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Book - Killer Angels?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, but I just finished reading "Killer Angels", about the battle at Gettysburg. Quite a book. Anyone have any comment about its accuracy? Makes me wonder about some of Lee's decisions.

Homesteader said:
Not to hijack the thread, but I just finished reading "Killer Angels", about the battle at Gettysburg. Quite a book. Anyone have any comment about its accuracy? Makes me wonder about some of Lee's decisions.
Historical novel. Setting, tactics, and characters (most) are real and very accurate. Many conversations, etc., made up, but fit perfectly so are probably not far off the mark.

Lee himself wondered about some of his decisions, during and after the war, so you're in good company when you wonder about them, too!

If I taught US history in high school, "Killer Angels" would be on my required reading list.

Killer Angels was the basis for the movie Gettysburg. With J. Daniels and a horribly done R.E. Lee

Lee made some tactical blunders but ain't hindsight wonderful 145 years later? :grin:

I just finished reading the section on Gettysburg in Lee's Lieutenants for the thousandth time and Freeman goes over everything that went wrong. Marse Robert ain't the only one that made mistakes. It was a comedy (or tragedy) of errors from Hour 1. Like Freeman said, it wasn't the army of Second Manassas or Chancellorsville. It had slipped backwards and operated like the army of Malvern Hill. Every corps commander and several division commanders had a share in that mess.

I wish I could be here for any discussion about this, but we're heading to PA (Chambersburg) tomorrow for a little R & R.
:thumbsup:

Killer Angels is one of my all-time favorite books. I've since become hooked on Michael Shaara's son Jeff's writings. IMO - two of Jeff's best books are Gone for Soldiers (about the Mexican American War) and To the Last Man (WW1). The Last Full Measure is also excellent. I highly recommend all of the Shaara books.

"Killer Angels" is an excellent book. I've read it probably close to a dozen times. The first copy I had I actually bought in Gettysburg. It finally fell apart.

My son had to write a paper on Gettysburg while in high school. I handed him my book and said, "Get to reading." He got an A- on that.

For whatever isn't accurate in this book, it still sets the mood of the two sides and the times.

Outdoorman

Killer Angels is among one of my favorite books.

The one beef I have with it is that Shaara almost entirely ignores the critical fighting that took place on Cemetery Hill and Culp's Hill on the second day of the battle, as well as the 5 hours of fighting that took place on Culp's Hill on the morning of the third day.

But I am quibbling. The book is excellent.

Back