• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Boot Knife - 42 years to finish !!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
(Small project that only took 42 years to finish !!)

When I was in high school, I couldn’t afford new files to do the metal working I was doing at the time. So I used to go to a local scrap metal dealer and buy “worn out” files for 25 cents each. I would take them home and re-sharpen them to near new condition. In 1970, when I was a junior in high school, I had a file I had re-sharpened three times and it was finally, truly worn out. However, it was good steel and I really couldn’t bring myself to throw it away so I made a boot knife out of it. File steel blade, rosewood, buffalo horn, and brass grip. It came out fine and I had always intended to make a scabbard, but never really got around to it.

For the next many years I was in the Navy and far from home. The knife sat in a tool box and was only used as a letter opener, or such, from time to time and, eventually, was lost in the shuffle of tools and gear that was moved from one place to another.

In 2010, 40 years after I had made the knife, I rediscovered it. It looked a little the worse for wear and I thought I would spruce it up a bit and do some engraving on the brass”¦and it still needed a scabbard. I didn’t get the engraving done until 2011 and just now finished the scabbard in 2012. The knife has two dates on the pommel, 1970 for the year I made the knife and 2011 for the year I finished the engraving.

So here it is today. Now I suppose I should use it for something other than to fill up space in the tool box.

Started with this:

BootKnife1.jpg

Made it into this:

BootKnife3.jpg

BootKnife2.jpg

BootKnife4.jpg

BootKnife5.jpg

BootKnife6.jpg

BootKnife13.jpg

BootKnife9.jpg

BootKnife10.jpg

That is one gorgeous knife. That steel definitely has a wonderful rags to riches story! Wow!!

Great story, and a Very nice job.
Beautiful. :thumbsup: :bow:

How did you age the blade as seen in the last photo?
I like how it's rubbed back a bit, nicely done.

davec2 said:
(Small project that only took 42 years to finish !!)

When I was in high school, I couldn’t afford new files to do the metal working I was doing at the time. So I used to go to a local scrap metal dealer and buy “worn out” files for 25 cents each. I would take them home and re-sharpen them to near new condition. In 1970, when I was a junior in high school, I had a file I had re-sharpened three times and it was finally, truly worn out. However, it was good steel and I really couldn’t bring myself to throw it away so I made a boot knife out of it. File steel blade, rosewood, buffalo horn, and brass grip. It came out fine and I had always intended to make a scabbard, but never really got around to it.

For the next many years I was in the Navy and far from home. The knife sat in a tool box and was only used as a letter opener, or such, from time to time and, eventually, was lost in the shuffle of tools and gear that was moved from one place to another.

In 2010, 40 years after I had made the knife, I rediscovered it. It looked a little the worse for wear and I thought I would spruce it up a bit and do some engraving on the brass”¦and it still needed a scabbard. I didn’t get the engraving done until 2011 and just now finished the scabbard in 2012. The knife has two dates on the pommel, 1970 for the year I made the knife and 2011 for the year I finished the engraving.

So here it is today. Now I suppose I should use it for something other than to fill up space in the tool box.

Started with this:

BootKnife1.jpg

Made it into this:

BootKnife3.jpg

As ole Gomer Pyle used too say, Shazam! It might have taken a long time but, I think the wait was worth it. The engraving really sets it off. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Could you fill me in on how you re sharpen old files? That sounds very interesting. If this procedure has been on this forum before forgive me, but I sure would like to how to do it. Thanks

Len,

Files can be sharpened a few times by cleaning them thoroughly (i.e. get all the clogged teeth cleaned out and then degrease the file in acetone) and then etching them in a dilute solution of either hydrochloric (muratic) acid or nitric acid. About 1/3 acid to 2/3 water is what I use. I place the acid and the files in a pyrex baking dish and brush the bubbles off the file as they form with a throw away brush. Flip the flies several times so you can brush both sides. I don't keep them in the bath for more than 5 to 10 minutes. Pull the files out, rinse in fresh water and then let sit in a solution of baking soda and water for a few minutes to neutralize any residual acid. Rinse again in clean water, dry and then give them a shot of WD-40. The teeth etch from both sides and result in a sharpened tip on each tooth.

Some folks do this with vinegar instead of acid, but it takes days and, for me, I do not get the same result. You can also do this electrolytically with just salt water and a battery charger.

I know people say to go slow and take your time when doing a project, but I think you've taken this advice to a whole new level. :haha:

The end result was certainly worth it, though. Amazing work! :bow:

Necchi, there's several ways to "patina" a carbon blade like that. I personally wrap the blade in a paper towel and then soak the towel in vinegar, then let it sit for an hour. Then I scrub off the "gunk" that forms under hot tap water with a dishwashing brush and then thinly coat with mineral oil. You can also reapply the vinegar soaked towel after scrubbing and drying if you want a deeper finish, then oil after that. I, too, would be interested to know how this one was done.

Necchi & Blunderbuss,

The blade was aged with Brownells Oxpho-Blue (cold gun blue) applied with a piece of Scotchbrite pad. I just rubed it on and off at the same time until I got the look I was after. Took about 2 minutes.

I need to try the vinegar method to see how it compares. Thanks.

Dave C

Back