• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bore butter recipe?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ontario Hawken

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone have or know of a recipe for making "bore butter?" I am fortunately to have about 20 lb of beeswax if that is part of the recipe...

Seems like I read years ago (I think it was here) that it was basically beeswax and olive oil, and that is what I use. I use one part melted beeswax to four parts olive oil. Bee careful melting and/or heating wax and oil, some folks recommend a double boiler. This works great in my climate most days, can get a bit runny in very hot weather. Probably gets too hard in cold weather but we don't get that much in SE Texas. There are lots of formulas provided on this forum, try some out and use what you like, but there are few simpler than this.

Regards and good luck.

I myself use 20% beeswax and 80%lard. Some people like a fifty /fifty mix of beeswax and olive oil.I find to much beeswax leads to a "waxy fouling", not enough leaves a mix that is to messy in hot weather.As a side note I use far more of my mixture as a hand cream than a patch lube. It also is good for horses hoofs. :idunno: :idunno:

I read somewhere that Bore Butter uses paraffin wax, not beeswax( because its cheaper), and a vegetable oil. Its scented now with a bit of evergreen oil, also. It really a formula used for lib balm- the kind you use to treat chapped lips in the cold, dry air.

If you check out Stumpy's Moose milk, and Moose Snot recipe here on the forum, under "Articles, Charts and Links", on the index page, you will find that he is using beeswax and oil. Beeswax has natural enzymes in it that prevent the wax from spoiling during storage. Honey is the only food that cannot spoil in nature, and has long been used for those "medicinal" qualities as well as a food source.

Don't USE ALL your beeswax to make the initial LUBE. Use a very small amount, and find out which works best for you in your climate and hunting/shooting conditions. You don't have to buy expensive Olive oil. Any vegetable oil will work. In working out Your own formula for what works best for you, will will also begin to understand how much or how little Wax you need to use, and how far it lasts. Unless you shoot every day, literally, a pound of beeswax, mixed with oil, even 50/50, will last you years!I suspect that if you live and shoot anywhere in Canada, that heat is not something you do a lot of worrying about, and you don't need a "hard" formula for a patch lube.

I like the beeswax/oil mix because the wax holds the oil to the walls of the bore and helps prevent rust. I even use it on the outside of my barrel, particularly on days when its foggy, or misting, and going to rain on my equipment( gun) and me. I live in Central Illinois, 130 miles South of Chicago. We do get the "Lake Effect" form the Great lakes, and "Alberta Clippers" do visit the area in Winters. That can change the temperatures here, and weather conditions, in a matter of minutes from sunny and balmy, to damp and cold, with strong, Cold NW winds.

Any patch lube I use has to meet a variety of weather conditions if I want to shoot thru the Winter, as well a in our Dogs Days of Summer.

I made the mistake of adding too much beeswax, maybe 50/50 and my first run was darn near as stiff as beeswax without any oil. So I added more oil, let it cool, and checked consistency. Still too stiff, so repeat. By the time I got it down to the right consistency I no longer had any idea what ratio I had, but I had one huge batch of bore butter!

I think 4 to 1 is a good starting point, It is amazing how little beeswax it takes to really stiffen up the mixture. When it's melted you can't judge at all, so let it cool completely. If you are going to soak wool wads and patches, the mixture doesn't need to be as stiff as the commercial tubes of it.

hunts4deer said:
When it's melted you can't judge at all, so let it cool completely.

Dab a little of your batch on a piece of foil and let it cool for a couple of minutes in the freezer. Take it out, let it warm to room temperature and test the consistency. Easy to adjust the consistency without having to wait.....

Hi all . As far as I have been able to determine B/B is made up with these ingredants:-
bees wax -or- parafin
olive oil -or- any vege oil
lard -or- crisco rendered animal fat
oil of wintergreen.
The last one is important as it makes the above mixture water soluble. Makes for easy wipping between shots and the cleanup later. One thing that I don't bother with is the color. I think that is just for marketing and I am also waiting for them who make it to put stripes in it , just like the toothpaste. I make a summer and winter brew . I hope this explains why and what I have done for a wee while now.

Always good ideas from RamRod
I will use it in my Frenchy and on my Wife's
horse.Just cant get um mixed up, and try to shoot the horse and ride frenchy.
Deutsch

I myself use 20% beeswax and 80%lard. Some people like a fifty /fifty mix of beeswax and olive oil.I find to much beeswax leads to a "waxy fouling", not enough leaves a mix that is to messy in hot weather.As a side note I use far more of my mixture as a hand cream than a patch lube. It also is good for horses hoofs. :idunno: :idunno:
Ohio Ramrod:
Do you use the 20/80 mix beeswax to lard by weight or by volume? Thank you.

Does anyone have or know of a recipe for making "bore butter?" I am fortunately to have about 20 lb of beeswax if that is part of the recipe...
Bore Butter is a commercial product. It is reportedly just Chap Stick rebranded. But, if you mean a good lube made with beeswax, check the other responses. I have made semi-soft cakes of lube using beeswax and whale oil or peanut oil. Both seem OK. I don't measure proportions, just add until it feels right to me.

Back