• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bore Butter vs. Wonder Lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pacobillie

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Both these products use "1000 plus" in their respective designations. Both are yellow patch lubes. Are they the same thing, just rebranded?

Same thing...made by Oxyoke, and in addition to Oxyoke label marketing, has been marketed by other companies such as T/C, Traditions, etc

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some of the old [white] Ox Yoke Wonder Lube that is neither yellow or very good. It's in a red plastic tub. It smells and works like tallow. Better than dry but not much. I use it occcasionally as a percussion pistol over-ball lube.

The yellow stuff is messier but a much better lube.

Pretty negative disparaging across the board attitude...makes me wonder if you're doing something wrong...how have you used it and under what conditions?

By contrast, I've used Natural Lube 1000 as a patch lube for range work and hunting going on 20 years.

I buy precut patches prelubed with NL1000 under the Oxyoke or T/C label...just laid in another 2000 pillow ticking patches for my .40cal.

Already shot three 40 shot range sessions this month with no wiping between shots...excellent stuff.

I do the same as Roundball, with the same excellent results. If you are going to shoot in competion, you might want to try a whole bunch of lubes to see if you can cut the group size down as small as possible. For the average shooter wonder lube/bore butter will work just great. Wish we could still get Lehigh valley patch lube.

I have been contemplating the process that folks go through to come up with the condemnations or blessing of any subject. In this case patch lube. I try almost everything that is promoted, here, and in the case of lube, it's just nonsense. Actually I don't see anything that works much better than plain olive oil. And a lot of it is much worse. I guess it has something to do with, “Yeah, I rendered out a bear for ten hours over a hot camp fire and got the mostest fantastic patch lube the world has ever knowed!”

No, I never have done that but seeing so little difference or improvement of the other 'mostest fantastic' lubes I doubt it also.

While Olive oil may work pretty good, it's going to take me a lot of shooting to use up all the wonder lube I currently have on hand. Wonder lube also works very well with conicals too.

same stuff I used to use wonder lube on my conicals and patches. now I make my own lube of beewax and corn oil. works realy well.

One of the most unfortunate common traits of human nature is to try something, have a problem with it, then wholesale categorize it as being no good...whether its problem with a product, or a problem with a method, etc...and we all have to guard against that.

Just in the tiny world of muzzleloading we see it all the time...examples are somebody has a bad experience with a lube and declares its no good...another says hot water can't be used for cleaning because it causes flash rust, and claims its no good.

Reality is that neither the lube nor the hot water are the actual root causes of the problems in these examples...and the list goes on.

Not that they are "no good". Those products might be OK, I don't know.
But, in this muzzle loading game there is a satisfaction in doing it yerself. Personally, I rankle when folks ask what stuff from the Big Box store, packaged in plastic is best. :barf:
Do like the guy over a campfire rendering his own bear grease. Work? Yes, but that comes with satisfaction of doing it himself.
BTW, my patch lubes are in plastic containers. :shocked2: I poured it into them when I made the lube myself. :wink:
Right now, I'm marinating some venison that will be jerky before the day is out. I dunno if everyone will like it as much as the stuff that can be bought in plastic bags from the store, but I'll enjoy it knowing I kilt the deer and made the jerky myself.
Wuz that a sermon or a rant? Dunno. :idunno: Enuf for now. :v

Part of the problem is that we don't all shoot in the same location, at the same temperature, at the same humidity, with the same ball diameter, and the same patch material, using the same bore. Well, actually, that is ALL of the problem. :rotf:

In north central Texas, with low humidity, bore butter does not generally keep the fouling soft enough for me to shoot all day without wiping.

Salive may not, but it at least pushes the fouling down to the breech w/ each shot, and I can load and shoot all day.

I like ToW's Mink oil, Hoppes #9+, and olive oil as all-day lubes too. The mink oil and olive oil work well for hunting, too.

Use what works best for you and gets the job done. If you like walking into Bass/Cabelas/etc. and grabbing it off the shelf or want to render bear over a campfire, its all good.

AlanA said:
Part of the problem is that we don't all shoot in the same location, at the same temperature, at the same humidity, with the same ball diameter, and the same patch material, using the same bore. Well, actually, that is ALL of the problem. :rotf:

In north central Texas, with low humidity, bore butter does not generally keep the fouling soft enough for me to shoot all day without wiping.
Exactly...different conditions dictate different choices...doesn't mean a product is junk.

During the dry low humidity months of winter here in NC, I can't use "off the shelf" bore butter patches and shoot whole range sessions without wiping either, because they're not wet enough.

But adding a couple squirts of Liquid Wonderlube to a bag of off the shelf wonderlubed patches to make them wetter takes care of that. (same as adding Hoppes, etc)

Having to do that doesn't make the lube junk...no more than having to put snow tires on a vehicle way up north during the winter makes the vehicle junk...LOL

i like your take on magic recipes.i have been using plain old spit lately with no complaints.An old timer told me try "synthetic spit" if you want but it will lead you down a road of never ending formulas and just confuse you.

George

I have noticed when I shoot using a pre-lubed patch; it leaves a certain "extra" fouling in the bore. I noticed it specifically during a woodswalk..one of the targets was a green dot on a sheet of cardboard placed app. 3 feet away from the shooter. The idea was to hit the green dot ( of coarse). Well I shot and missed the dot, BUT I noticed when I shot that I had a shot splatter of unspent, goo-like black substance all over the cardboard. Now this was after about 25 shots and swabbing between shots, using a Wonder lube pre-lubed patch. My buddy seemed to think it was the pre-lubed patches that caused this. Well the next woodswalk I went to, I had my own lube that I had made and after 25 shots and repeating the same procedure of swabbing between each shot,(I noticed that my swabbing patches were much cleaner between each shot as well).. the same ol' target came up.. green dot at 3 feet away. I shot at it, and YES I missed again..lol anyhow NO splatter this time.I would take this as the Wonder lube was causing this rather horrid fouling.I'm not actually nocking Wonderlube or Bore Butter...it's just been my experience. I actually used either or both for YEARS until recently. Sorry to Hi-jack your thread.
Anyhow to answer your question YES the two are the same. Marketed by two different companies.

Back