• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bore out 50 cal for shotgun ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin beers

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I saw was mentioned on here u can get a 50 cal barrel bored out for a shotgun. Does anyone on here know how much u can safely bore one out too ? What would be the best bore size? And most economical? The gun barrel I have is old tc hawkin 28 in.

You're limited by the diameter of the barrel. For a 15/16" barrel you can go to 54 cal (28 gauge), but you're tapped out at around 56 caliber. With a 1" barrel you can go to 58 cal (24 gauge) or 62 caliber (20 gauge).

bobby hoyt is the man to contacthe made a 57 cal smbore out of a 15/16 tc barrel for me.
Robert A. Hoyt
3820 Spruce Creek Road 700 Fairfield Station Road
Spruce Creek, PA 16683 Fairfield, PA 17320
(717) 642-6696 Tel.

Back