• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bore Shine at Range & Clean Gun 19 Days Later! No Rust!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Rosenthal

70 Cal.
Reaction score
My son and I shot a BP League match on Sunday July 1st. At the range, immediately after the shoot, we routinely soak our trade rifles' bore and caplock with Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine. We use a rangerod and a patchworm and soak 2 patches with this magic chemical. We then push the patches about half way down and then squirt in more cleaner and then "pump" the rangerod back & forth till the suds come shooting out the nipple (hammer at full-cock). We do this four or five times, and then take the cleanest set of patches soaked with the Bore Shine to wipe-down and around the nipple, hammer, and breech area. We wipe anywhere that we can see BP fouling. We usually clean the rifle in a day or so.

This time we accidentally didn't clean it until TODAY! :shake: :youcrazy: :redface: and to my complete surprise, not a mere spec of rust anywhere to be found! I knew that the chemical did a good job, but almost 3 weeks later and no rust! I am in a state of shock. :shocked2:

The stuff aint cheap, but man does it WORK! :bow: :hatsoff: . It emulsifies BP on contact and completely neautralizes the rusting process.

Needless to say, we will continue to use this great product!

Dave

i use it religiously and it is the best cleaner that i have ever found ,you can shoot all
-day then clean your fouled bbl with 3 soaked patches and a few to dry .i agree with smokin 50 it is a great product. :thumbsup:

Just don't let it get on your stock! It will screw the finish up big time. How do I know? :(
Old Charlie

No I haven't a clue as to the chemical make-up. It doesn't really have an odor. There is a drying agent of some sort in it. After soaking the bore and caplock, it dries itself without the need for further patching. The Bore Shine residue keeps fighting the Rust monster I guess!

The real trick is the pumping action with the rangerod, and watching the juice squirt out through the nipple with the hammer at full cock. It cleans the snail and the nipple. Never put oil into the middle of the nipple, just on the threads before screwing it back in by hand.

This stuff also works great on revolvers too! Just squirt some on a couple of patches and hold the wet patches onto the cylinder face and rotate the cylinder until the gunk / crud wipes off and the forcing cone no longer binds-up either :) . Don't even have to wipe-off to dry cause the drying agent does the job for you! :thumbsup:

Dave

Some POS that says he can shoot > XXXths rounds ( yes thousands...) without cleaning then one quicke swab and the gun is fine :haha:

Want to buy a bridge in brooklyn,......cheap!!!! Lb of powder "REAL clean shootin powder" and an uncleaned but don't need to be cleaned gun too !!!!:rotf:

OK and I get this at...?? "Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine" Everything Ive tryed and I mean everything with 100% water in the air unless i fill barrel with 90 wt rear end lube its going to rust in a week. Fred :hatsoff:

O-K, so I guess that I file his name under "circular file"! What a :bull: artist!

Guess he writes for one of those gunrags that I don't subscribe to. :barf:

Thanks for straightening me out!

Dave

Lyman is the distributor. As a matter of fact, Lyman packs a free bottle in every long gun box to get you hooked, so that you'll buy more. It's a great marketing scheme. Thing is if it didn't work the first time, no one would ever buy it again after using the free stuff! This solution works so well, that Lyman isn't worried at all!

Now as far as soaking a gun in 100% humidity goes, I can't speak to that. After the Bore Shine job at the range, we case our rifles for transportation from the range and to store them. When they are cleaned at home with a little more Bore Shine followed by a scalding hot water bath, we dry patch them with a patch worm and get down into the chamber. Then we squirt in some Birchwood Casey Sheath into the barrel, and soak a couple of patches in it too. Then we pump the rangerod with the Sheath until it squirts out the other end of the gun. We clean the outside and threads of the nipple with some Bore Shine, put a drop of oil on the threads and re-insert the nipple by hand, using a nipple wrench just to cinch it up a little. Clean-up the lock, give it a wipe with oil, re-assemble rifle and store muzzle down on a piece of paper towel to soak-up the un-needed oil. Result: NO RUST and NO MISSFIRES :grin: .

Sorry for the long-winded explanation, but I didn't want to tell someone something that isn't true or possibly mislead you. I've never used Gear Oil in a super-humid enviroment...I'm glad it works for you. If I'm ever faced with YOUR weather conditions and I have to shoot, I'll try the Gear Oil! :v

Dave

Back