• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bore Size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommy b

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Two questions:
1) Are .50 caliber barrels from any manufacturer .500" diameter between the lands?

2) I have a T/C Hawken in .50 caliber. I bought the gun in 1978. Can anyone tell me the groove depth? It's kind of hard to communicate with T/C sinc they don't seem to have a working web site. If I send them a snail mail, by the time I get an answer, I'v usually forgotten the question. Couldn't be old age, could it? Oops, thats three questions.

I think you will find that the actual bore size for .50 rifles varies with different makers I have a Colarain .50 that will shoot a .500 ball with .017 patch, a .45 Douglas that will,shoot a .451 ball with .015 patch many .50's require a .490 with a .015 patch

Tommy B, Go to www.gmriflebarrel.com. They have the IBS barrels for T/C Hawken and Renegade in .50 cal. They drop in after a little fitting of the hook into the tang. I have one on my Lyman in percussion and it measures .503 between the lands at the muzzle. I shoot .495 cast ball with .018 ticking as patch. After working up a load and lapping the barrel, mine shoots a ragged hole less than an inch in diameter at 25 and just over an inch at 50. I just bought one in flint for the same rifle along with the L&R RPL lock to convert over to flint. I just have one little problem with it, the touch hole on the GM barrel doesn't line up with the pan on the L&R lock. I have to plug and weld the liner hole and reposition it. Talked to GM this morning and they said do that or send it to them along with $60.00 and they would put a new breech plug in it with out a touch hole. Take care and hope this helps, Rick.

Latest posts

Back