• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bout Time

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoyt

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Finally got my first deer with flintlock..after a few misses.

152 lbs. 5pt. killed it on public land in Fl. with my .58cal. Berk's Co. rifle. He came out the day before but was real spooky as he fed on acorns at about 60yds. I felt like he would feed towards me and give me a better shot, but he got a whiff or something and took off.

I went back in way before daylight the next morning and got up a tree closer to where he was feeding and he showed up at the exact same time..9:15 at the exact same spot. Shot him through both lungs at 45 steps with 3/1 pure lead, wheelweight ..562" ball I cast, 100grs. 2f and .018" Walmart pillow ticking. Zipped through leaving good blood at the spot and good trail the full 60yds or so.

BerksBuck-1.jpg

BerksBuckv.jpg

I know you're pumped...first with a Flintlock is really special...and a good buck to boot...congratulations!
:hatsoff:

You shouldn't have done that Hoyt! No matter what, you're hooked now. The addiction just got a good hold on you. :grin:
Congrat's

From what I have heard a deer of that size on public ground in Fl is very hard to do. And, you did it with a flinter!

Way to go man!
Wess

Darn nice lookin buck and sharp looking rifle too. :hatsoff: Good job on the hunt.

Thanks men..I been in the woods since I posted and just came home for a XMAS meal and headed back to the tent till Jan. 6th when it goes out up there.

I think I was already hooked before getting this buck..been hunting with flintlock all but 2 days during the modern gun season. It rained those 2 days. I just like the way that ole slim rifle feels in my hands..makes my modern guns feel heavy, bulky and they just don't shoulder right anymore.

I'm after a good buck that's bout to drive me crazy for the last 3 or 4 yrs. He's just about all nocturnal now and I figure a hot doe is about my only chance.

Got a real good modern gun hunt on another piece of public land Jan. 17th thr 21st..(Greenswamp West) and am going to use my flinter in that area too..should get some action in there.

Hope all having a good Christmas.

Congrats and Waidmanns Heil from Germany. A nice buck. :thumbsup:

Regards

Kirrmeister

Good shot, good deer, but an even better job hunting. Patience, planning, and perseverance paid off.

Congratulations

bramble

Back