• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BP and turkeys..Oh Boy!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbutch

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Just want to take a minute to say how much I enjoyed the 17 or so hunts posted so far on this forum ...
Its inspiring and always fun to see what every hunts with..
Thanks for posting and Way Cool to those that punched a tag!
Good luck to those still plugging away!
Is it fall Yet? :grin: .."Thanks Again"....dan

Thanks for saying Dan! :hatsoff:

It is fun seeing how everybody is doing. I find myself really looking forward to checking out the "hunting" forum this time of the year!

I assume (very dangerous) by the thread title, that, a modern shotgun may have brought more turkey to the oven this year. No?

Best regards, Skychief.

Every season ! HaHa! Enjoy the the challenge...And as a side benefit I spend more time watching game.

For the last three years I have hunted it all with a flintlock, I am so obsessed I will use nothing else. Sure, I see deer and turkey each season that could be taken with modern arms. I have "been there done that". Now I have taken gobblers, a coyote, deer, and a black bear standing a few feet from me fighting a pile of dogs all with a flintlock. I love the challenge and I really enjoy shooting my flintlocks so much I dont mind cleaning them.

T.O. said:
For the last three years I have hunted it all with a flintlock, I am so obsessed I will use nothing else. Sure, I see deer and turkey each season that could be taken with modern arms. I have "been there done that". Now I have taken gobblers, a coyote, deer, and a black bear standing a few feet from me fighting a pile of dogs all with a flintlock. I love the challenge and I really enjoy shooting my flintlocks so much I dont mind cleaning them.

A bear with dogs and a flintlock would be a crazy adventure.
Having run black and tan coon hounds for years as well as fox/coyote hounds. I would love to go on a bear chase with hounds OR better yet a cougar hunt with hounds and flintlock.

I was thinking about this thread even before I logged on today.
I wondered if some people are shy to share their adventures because they look at it as bragging. I would hope not. I look at it as sharing or even celebrating. What better place then with a bunch of men that can truly appreciated the special moment of waiting for the smoke to clear. I enjoy reading about those special hunts wether they are a 16 pound jake or 25 pound monster tom. I have shot both and to me they were both exciting hunts. Wether it is a fat little doe for the freezer or mature big bodied buck. Once again I have been very lucky to experience both. What better way then to spend the day in the squirrel woods, enjoying the woods, bushcraft, rifles, and peaceful quiet that goes along with that adventure. I have also been lucky enough to make a few good friends by corresponding with guys who have shared their special adventures.

Pat Cameron.

I have a friend who is an avid turkey hunter with a specialized barrel that can reach out to 40 or 50 yards with the proper load. While we both enjoy hunting birds, his pleasure comes from the challenge of seeing how far he can shoot with the latest technology.

I explained that with a muzzle loader “It is not how far you can shoot but how close you can get”. These are two very different mindsets with the same goal. You see the same thing with compound vs. traditional bow shooters.

Muzzle loaders and other traditional gear seem to trigger something deep inside some people that is hard to explain. Anymore I just call it “a challenge” and go with it. Someone once said “If you have to explain it; they probably won’t understand anyway.” :wink:

We post pictures not so much to brag, as to encourage and inform others. There are times when the shortcomings of traditional gear can be aggravating.

Enjoy the hunt.

I think its the smell of blackpowder thats addicting, wether your hunting or target shooting. An getting close to to what yer hunting is icing on the cake. I don't how I would act if I had a Turkey at 15yrds or so with a smoothbore in hand. I think its worse than a cold beer on a hot afternoon. I think I'll go shooting today if the scrap yard I called earlier does'nt have any lead to sell!! They said call back at around 1:00pm. So it'll be either shoot some lead or melt some down!.

Grandpa Ron said:
"There are times when the shortcomings of traditional gear can be aggravating."

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My wife loves wild turkey (She's spoiled)...I get a good natured brow beating when I come home empty handed.. :haha:
Fortunetly there is a fall season here in Wisconsin...
I'll average 1 bird a year.
CF was just too easy. Needed a challenge went the BP route .
This spring( weather was a hugh factor) had a Jake with hens at 15 yds..Had a big tom at 12 yds...busted with the jake..too many eyes...and the tom came through in a down pour(rain fly covering fowler) moving steady.
He came through my shooting lane faster than I could react..Man he was big!
Beard almost to the ground....It was a great season..Any time spent in persuit of game is time well spent. Add a flintlock fowler and its pretty cool! ....Wish I would of went this route 30 years ago!"AMEN"

I went out once but didn't see anything. Medical problems have prevented me from going out again. I'll just have to look forward to fall and we have a fall turkey season, too.

Back