• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BP Blank

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronMan

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am wondering how you would fire a BP rifle without a ball. Full load of powder but no ball. The reason for doing this would be for re-enacting or celabration noise makeing like on the 4th of July or New Years. Any ideas?

IronMan

I'm thinking that a cardboard over-powder wad would do it.

Rat

There is a discussion on this in the archives. I just don't know how to get it from there to here as a link. If you do a search with Keyword (blanks), time 1 year, it will be on about the 4th page.

Years ago I used to reenact at Fort Niagara. They got real upset if anything but blackpowder was put down the barrel. The reason for this is that any wadding could come out
" Hot " and burn a spectator. :no:

Years ago I used to reenact at Fort Niagara. They got real upset if anything but blackpowder was put down the barrel. The reason for this is that any wadding could come out
" Hot " and burn a spectator. :no:

How did you keep the powder in the barrel?

IronMan

I use blanks for flag ceremonies at camp- I started using 90gr powder and 2 patches over the powder to keep it from spilling out during transport. Then I found some wonder wads. HUGE difference in sound level, the wad is much louder then using patches and does not ignite so there's less fire hazard. Powder alone did not provide an adequate sound level to carry across our parade field.

Same deal, tho... 90-100gr powder, one wad and gently tamp down. Nothing like having 4 or 5 MLs going BOOM when they retire the colors.

/disclaimer: You still need to watch your muzzle direction as the wad exits at a fairly high velocity and may cause damage or injury if it hits something or someone. I don't know the effective range of a wonder wad, but keeping the muzzle at 45 deg and pointed away from any people or animals provides a good comfort zone.

vic

Back when I was re-enacting the only charges we used were 40gr 2fg rolled in a paper charge. To load you simply tear the load, dump the powder and load the paper as if it were a mini bullet. The use of wads, card stock or anything else was prohibited because it was a safety hazard to the spectators and opposing line of infantry and in the summer it was a fire hazard.

The paper we used to roll the charges with was most often Tracing Paper that you find in office/school supply stores.

Regulis7

When loaded behind a ball or bullet, I can usually find my Wonder Wads about 20-25 yards down range.

Rat

When loaded behind a ball or bullet, I can usually find my Wonder Wads about 20-25 yards down range.

Hey Rat... thanks for the info. I had planned on testing this summer. Now I'll know where to start looking. I figured that the wad would still have some effective force at close ranges- we shoot 50 feet and I'll often see a ragged hole that I figured was from the wad. I know it's not the ball as we do single shot per target.

vic

The paper patch idea works. We use cigarette rolling papers. They have glue to seal them us with and they are very thin which is good because when they come out the barrel, they will be on fire but will burn out very quickly. Just don't shoot at anything closer than 12 feet or so. Good luck :results:

http://www.nwta.com/couriers/9-96/cartridge.html

the standard load these days is 90 grains ( less if Swiss powder is used ) in some events where the
use of the ramrod is forbidden just dump the powder
place the empty paper roll in a secure place
( so little children do not pick em ) hit the ground
twice with the butt of the gun and keep the muzzle up.

In some public demonstration , bread is used as a
wad . Green leafes are non inflamable ans very
PC as blancs .

Last detail , : never show up at a public
gathering with a horn full of powder and
of course , never fill the gun from a container .

I know everybody knows , but just in case
one person does not ....

I use blanks for flag ceremonies at camp-

Vic,

What kind of camp?

(It's the Scoutmaster in me)

BTW, I remember a fellow posting on another board how his favorite wadding of choice was a handful of pink easter grass.

That pink easter grass poster would have to be Wes/Tx. Suppose you could use the pink and some green for wadding with color. Don't think it would be heavy enough to do any harm if it was to accidently hit someone. Don't know if it would burn or not.

Hey...anyone using Swiss for BLANKS should be whupped with a knotted plow line!! That's good stuff!

Rat

Vic,
What kind of camp?
(It's the Scoutmaster in me)

By small coincidence, it's MaKaJaWan Scout Reservation near Antigo, WI. I'm one of the Shooting Sports Directors there.

vic

btw- recognize my avatar? It's a BP (Baden-Powell) sketch.

btw- recognize my avatar? It's a BP (Baden-Powell) sketch.

Only by you saying that and then I right-clicked and did a "view image". Then it got big enough to see.

We attend camp at L.E. Phillips Scout Reservation in Haugen, WI. Usually the week we are there is the same week a Venturing crew from Elgin, IL comes up. They are into re-enacting and usually have a fur-trade-ish camp set up.

Always good to see other Scouters here. :redthumb:

Riley L. Snyder
Scoutmaster, Troop 57
Plainview, MN

50 grains of Goex FFFG poured down the barrel WITHOUT any wads, patches, etc. Makes a nice bang and plenty of smoke.

we do reenactments about 10-15 times a year. just keep the muzzel pointed up and a few whacks on the breech after you pour the loose powder down the spout and everything works fine.

I would NOT use wonder wads, rammed paper or anything if I was shooting and people were within 25 yards of me. just a safety thingy.

Thanks for all the good info guys. I'll try them all and see which I like best :D. I live out in the country on a couple acres of land so people are not a problem.
Thanks again to all.
IronMan

Back