• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BP Shelf Life

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SquirrelFlinter

36 Cal.
Reaction score
With all this talk about the difficulties of get BP I was wonder how long BP can store if kept in a cool dry place at all times until used? I did a search for it but I could not find anything.

SF

I have some Dupont over 40 years old, still has the price on it ($2.50). It shoots just fine, just store in a cool,dry invironment.

TTC

i recently fired thirty five year old BP which had been stored in basements across two continents and a dozen or more states. worked fine.

I have a can from about the time of the Civil War and it still works.

Regards, Dave

SquirrelFlinter said:
With all this talk about the difficulties of get BP I was wonder how long BP can store if kept in a cool dry place at all times until used? I did a search for it but I could not find anything.

SF

BP has a longer shelf life than we humans do... :winking:

I say that because there are examples of Civil War cannon-balls that have been found with active powder in them, and we don't know how long the powder sat around prior to the Civil War either, it could have been War of 1812 surplus powder for all we know... :hmm: :grin:

Some dealer in antique shells was recently injured while attempting to defuse one. Ouch! Feller went to the hospital afterwards.

The best powder from the civil war was that produced by the south at Augusta, GA. The northern troops thought is was much superior to their issue powder.

Until the surrender, the south never lacked (except through transport) for powder, in either quality or quanity.[url] http://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h3286.html[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back