• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brass and Iron mounts on early guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I originally posted this under the "PC" thread" but asked Claude to delete it as it's not on topic.

Intro: It's often asked, "Are brass mounts or iron mounts more appropriate on this or that gun from the F&I War period?" I have seen 3 common approaches to answering the question. The first is research based. Folks look at what's in collections and museums and make the assumption that such guns are representative of what existed. The second approach is to extrapolate from originals of a later period, and decide that the mounts used on guns made before the Revolution are likely made of the same materials, in the same region, as guns of a later period from that region. Southern "mountain" guns of 1810 on were often iron mounted, and it's coomon for folks assume that guns of an earlier period must also have been largely iron mounted. The third approach is to use "reason". That is perhaps the least "powerful" approach because we assume that things were then, as they are now. There were factors operating of which we know nothing.

Here's my ideas on the ever popular "brass versus iron" debate:

Cost always matters Brass, pound for pound, is much more expensive as a raw materal than iron. But it can be sand cast into fine and complex shapes with very little effort. Forging iron by hand into complex shapes such as a trigger guard is much more labor intensive. It might take 8-10 heats and therefore an hour at least for the rough forging. Verus 20 minutes to set up the sand mold and pour. So in the colonies, where labor was expensive, iron mounts would cost more to make considering "parts+labor".

Labor and factories in Europe made iron mounts cheap However in Europe for production guns, they made dies which a smith could hammer the iron into, producing trigger guard rough forgings much faster. Plus labor in Europe was cheaper than in the colonies. And factories allowed specialized tasks and as you may have seen, anyone who does the same thing every day gets fast at it.

Brass may have been marketed as special on chief grade fusils Generally the French fusils for trade had iron mounts. I imagine the brass was marketed as "special" to the Indians and the cast in or chased engraving may have added to the appeal.

What about iron mounted Southern guns? Were they common in the colonial period? Editorial- my views only! Folks who like iron mounted Southern guns of the 1810 and later vintage like to reason that there must have been a lot of early iron mounted Southern rifles but they got confiscated, destroyed, carried off, or used up and fancier guns with brass mounts were kept as heirlooms. Nice hypothesis but it's 100%supposition and can never be proved or disproved. That's the beauty of the theory. It can't be wrong because if the guns are all gone.....

I can import barrels and locks but dang it I can't find any brass! Some folks reason the backwoods gunsmith might not be able to get brass but could forge iron mounts. OK, that's possible, but not plausible. All evidence indicates that about 75% of locks on American longrifles and smoothbores before 1775 were imported, not made here. And many barrels were imported also. Plus there is plenty of evidence for imported finished brass mounts being used on American pieces of the colonial era. So they could get locks and barrels but not brass?

I think the Southern mountain rifle of the 1800s was often made by guys whose primary skill and business was blacksmithing and they chose to show their skill and art by making iron mounts. As simple as that. :imo:

I'm not the student that some others are, so take what I say as my thoughtful opinion only

Well, lacking a bunch of rifles to pull out and examine, lets look at some "knowns".

To my knowledge, every flintlock rifle produced in America had iron screws and bolts. Metal patchboxes, if present and regardless of material, used iron or steel screws. Probably produced in Europe, possibly domestic.

Barrels were iron (I know of one brass smooth-rifle barrel), possibly imported. But, barrel lugs or staples, which are best be fitted during the production of the gun, were of iron. Rear sights were of iron (but could also have been imported). Front sights iron or silver blade soldered to an iron base. Triggers were of iron - to my knowledge in EVERY case. Some beautifully pierced and curled, with flattened faces (which require a forging process) and are unique to individual gun producers. Would they invest in the needed equipment just to make triggers? I believe it is likely that gunsmiths produced many of their own tools (scrapers, punches, turn-screws, etc.).

Another fact. Two of the men in the Rupp family, in Macungie township near Nazareth, PA, were listed as "blacksmiths" on the tax records, and both also produced fine longrifles (and listed as "smiths" or "gunsmiths" on other public records). I was researching down Rupp specifically and I don't know if this might have been the case with other gunsmiths in the area or of the period.

It would then appear that the ability and technology to use and form iron had to go part and parcel with producing firearms. If the components were imported, we would, I believe, se much more uniformity in the longrifles.

Does any of this confirm the existance of iron mounted rifles? No. Only that it might have been easily done. I know of at least one living gunsmith who forges iron furniture simply because he enjoys doing it. Could he have had a distant counterpart in Pennsylvania?

It drives me nuts that the books and articles I have say things like "usually" and "commonly" when referring to brass furniture without describing the exceptions.

I guess it could be as simple as brass on a rifle was the equivalent of white spacers and black nose-caps on the bolt-actions of the 70's. No reason, it was just the style of the time.

Good thoughts. I see you prefer the "reasoning" approach. It's good to keep in mind that in some cases, brass and iron can not be used interchangeably with good results. Brass triggers would not meet the structural/functional requirements as well as iron, especially case-hardened iron. They would wear and soon there would be slop in the trigger. I cold forge triggers- no special equipment needed- a vise and a ballpeen hammer.

Cold forging, eh? *Rats*

Until we have a "gun-in-the-cave" discovery with a body sporting a 1759 Crown Point theatre ticket in his pocket and a signed iron mounted rifle with a "Made in Pennsylvania" stamp in the patchbox clutched in his skeletal hands it will all be just speculation.

Our technology is improving, and maybe soon we will be able to scrape away soil with sonar or radar at some historic sites, as they physically did at Fort Michilimackinac, to see what bits and pieces are still waiting for us.

How many existing rifles of any type are documented as having been used in combat during the F&I War? :winking:

How many existing rifles of any type are documented as having been used in combat during the F&I War? :winking:
Exactly zero, I think! You comment does make me wonder- which folks frequenting this forum are primarily interested in the war and which are mostly interested in the timeframe? I am more of a timeframe guy, as I prefer hunting, scouting, gunsmithing, to reenacting in a military company.

I've always figured that muskets, fusils and fowlers were about all a guy could carry in the F&I War for active duty, and the choice would depend on a man's persona- regular soldier, officer, or militiaman. So I'm working on a Hudson Valley fowler as a militia-compatible gun, and will use it for turkey etc.

As late as 1778, General von Steuben wrote of Washington's line regiments following his arrival at Valley Forge in February, "The arms were in horrible condition, covered with rust, half of them without bayonets, many from which a single shot could not be fired - muskets, carbines, fowling pieces and rifles were seen in the same company."

From a Neumann article on Colonial arms in the Revolution.

So, for them to be in "horrible condition" they would likely have been used; the F & I War being only 15 years past when he was writing. And we know for a fact that firearms have a long life (The British mandated 12 years between refittings or reconditioning of the various Land patterns). Heck, I still shoot my Grandfather's .22 that is 93 years old! He (von Steuben) mentions rifles AND he says the arms are "covered in rust". Well, brass would tarnish, not rust, and von Steuben, being an educated man, would know the difference. He did not say "partially rusted" or "those few specific parts of iron are rusted" or "rusted and tarnished".

So, the logical conclusion is that many rifles in the F&I War were of iron components.

There you have it from the pen of a great man and hero, and if you are calling him a liar I'll have to ask you to step outside.

I'll wait here.

:haha:

. . . which folks frequenting this forum are primarily interested in the war and which are mostly interested in the timeframe? I am more of a timeframe guy, as I prefer hunting, scouting, gunsmithing, to reenacting in a military company.

As do I. I have enough trouble keeping a small plot and worrying about the occasional hostiles with no time to go traipsing off for war on the northern frontier. That's a young man's game. I get along well enough with the Nanticokes, have never seen a Frenchman, and wish both kings would keep their fool wars in Europe where such things belong. If the chowderhead lobsterbacks that do pass through would learn to tell one Indian from the next we wouldn't have a problem to begin with. They shoot at anything that moves. You can't blame the even the Naticokes for going sour when their winter stores have been burned and smashed. Damn continentals. We had to house twelve ourselves last winter. Damn near starved us out as well.

They dress pretty, but I think they're here because the London prisons were full. Our local militia at least have the brains to duck when we reload. Mark my words, we're going to have a falling out with them and Mother England soon enough.

Just a detail , by the way : Iron is not the same
thing as steel . Brass is more expensive than iron
even if iron is more labor intensive , european wages
are very low . Steel , actually chiselled steel
furnitures is more expensive than brass . It is
used for some cavalry units and officer's guns
it is close to silver in price and about as unusual .

Brass is the logical choice of the navy and
even for coastal locations , like Louisianne .

I'm a timeframe kinda guy as well. Let me ask this: Of the existing/documented guns from the mid to late18th century I wonder what the general ratio of brass to iron was? This may be too broad of a question and impossible to answer but I'm curious.

Brass versus iron mounts in the F&I War period: Seems the British Brown Bess was brass mounted by then, and the French muskets were iron mounted. The fusil de chasse, fusil fin, Okwaho has covered. Fowlers made in the middle American colonies were brass mounted at least 75% of the time. Hudson Valley fowlers (~100%), Pennsylvania fowlers (are there any colonial period iron mounted specimens?), Virginia fowlers, all predominantly brass mounted. The iron mounted rifles in collections that could date to the F&I War period could be easily counted on one hand. Given the difficulties of dating early custom arms, accurate percentages are impossible to discern. But looking at Shumway's books on Rifles in Colonial America, there are maybe 2 iron-mounted rifles total of those shown. And Shumway was not afraid to show plain or crude guns, so it's not a matter of selecting the finest. Yes, Shumway focused on Pennsylvania pieces but did travel widely in preparing for his books. Wallace Gusler has handled hundreds to thousands of original Southern long arms and has closely studied the iron mounted "Black Rifle" and concludes it's early enough, that it could have been used durign the years of the F&I War. That's the only one I know of. But then again, the number of rifles known that could date to the 1750's and early '60's is very small.

"So, the logical conclusion is that many rifles in the F&I War were of iron components"

or the gentleman waw commenting on the condition of the barrels which is the majority of the guns surface????

Evidence and logivc suggests brass the norm iron probably rare and not likely to look like cast steel clones of the brass furniture offered today, and if you look at a repro F&I rifle with steel(iron) furniture with a straight barrel and everything browned and a large Siler lock it does become a moot question.

Another fact. Two of the men in the Rupp family, in Macungie township near Nazareth, PA, were listed as "blacksmiths" on the tax records, and both also produced fine longrifles (and listed as "smiths" or "gunsmiths" on other public records). I was researching down Rupp specifically and I don't know if this might have been the case with other gunsmiths in the area or of the period.
This is a mute point but, Nazareth is in Northampton county and a good distance from macungie. Christian springs and Henry where around the Nazareth area. If I remember right Rupp was from the Macungie area which is in Lehigh County. Lehigh County was formed from Northhampton County though.
Lehigh..

I don't think there were very many iron mounted rifles in the F&I War period, I do think that there may have been a few. I also don't think many rifles were used in combat either.
To say that the rifles had to be iron mounted because of the statement that they were covered in rust, I believe is a stretch and I'll explain. Today when we see an automobile that has rusty fenders we say "it's covered in rust" does that mean that the rubber, vinyl, or cloth is rusty? I think he was referring to the locks and barrels since they are the principal components of a gun. :haha:
In the 18th century I think most civilian mounts were brass just because that's what you made gun mounts out of, it was the fashion or tradition. Surviving guns support this. There may have been those who made iron mounts just because they enjoyed working with iron more than working with brass. I know of one gunsmith today who does that. He can make brass castings or swagings as well as anyone but he just likes working with iron better.
During the F&I War I don't think that the rifle received much thought as a tactical weapon as opposed to muskets, but with the increasing use of rifles after the war in the westward movement, rifles received more attention as a military tactical weapon in the Revolution, but even then their use was a very small percentage.
I need to stop rambling I guess.

Thanks Rich, for a great topic. :applause:

Regards, Dave

Stumpy ,I and a couple others are having this same discussion on another forum as well right now .
As I stated there when I first started building back in the early 1970

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As late as 1778, General von Steuben wrote of Washington's line regiments following his arrival at Valley Forge in February, "The arms were in horrible condition, covered with rust, half of them without bayonets, many from which a single shot could not be fired - muskets, carbines, fowling pieces and rifles were seen in the same company."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From a Neumann article on Colonial arms in the Revolution.

So, for them to be in "horrible condition" they would likely have been used; the F & I War being only 15 years past when he was writing. And we know for a fact that firearms have a long life (The British mandated 12 years between refittings or reconditioning of the various Land patterns). Heck, I still shoot my Grandfather's .22 that is 93 years old! He (von Steuben) mentions rifles AND he says the arms are "covered in rust". Well, brass would tarnish, not rust, and von Steuben, being an educated man, would know the difference. He did not say "partially rusted" or "those few specific parts of iron are rusted" or "rusted and tarnished".

So, the logical conclusion is that many rifles in the F&I War were of iron components.

There you have it from the pen of a great man and hero, and if you are calling him a liar I'll have to ask you to step outside.

I'll wait here.

{Pssssst}

Guys, the whole bit about von Stuben's comments was tongue-in-cheek. It's impossible to draw that conclusion from the one sentence quote I used.

Re-read it imagining a twinkle in my eyes and a S.E.G. on my face.

But you can't rule iron furniture rifles out, either. :winking: Using Rich's 75% figure, that leaves 25% of non-brass firniture. We have examples of iron mounted fowlers and militia-muskets dated to approximately the right era. Seems odd that rifles would not make use of iron trigger-bows, butt-plates, thimbles or sideplates when those pieces were common in the European guns of the period. :hmm:

Yankee individualism?

so my question to ya guys is on my 1770 lancaster i'm building now....would it be proper to have all iron on it from nose cap to butt plate....thimbles and all with no brass at all.............bob

I haven't seen 'em all, but I've never seen or read of any Pennsylvania longrifle from the flintlock era with an iron patchbox or forend-cap that I can recall. Seems those two pieces were either brass, German silver, or just part of the wood.

I'm gonna have to dig out my "Longrifles of Note" collection from old Muzzle Blasts and see if I can find anything.

looking at surviving examples, I'd say a 1770 Lancaster should have brass mounts all the way....it would certainly be the 'safe' way to build one. :imo:

so my question to ya guys is on my 1770 lancaster i'm building now....would it be proper to have all iron on it from nose cap to butt plate....thimbles and all with no brass at all.............bob

Latest posts

Back