• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

breaking in barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
0-300 rounds should do the trick. I have a barrel now that has 200 round through it and is still cutting a patch on one lane but it's getting better.

Rebel said:
Depends on the barrel. Also, you can speed up the process with some 0000 steel wool on a jag.

Adding a dab of white tooth paste to a jag and a cleaning patch will work as a mild abrasive during the lapping process, 100 to 200 strokes will help remove many burrs and drill bit chatter...

Did about 200 shots through the GPR, patches come out looking like I could reuse them now and groups are a lot better. Shooting balls rather than lapping seemed like a lot more fun to me :winking: :winking:

A good quality barrel should shoot good right out of the box. If you have a new barrel that has drill and/or chatter marks in it, I would suggest you send it back fast, because it's junk. If you think you have to lap a barrel, that can't hurt but be sure you know what to do. A top quality barrel is the way to go.
:thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back