• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Broken Half-Cock on AMR Patriot Copy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idahomie

40 Cal
Reaction score
I recently purchased an AMR percussion pistol (Spanish from an unscrupulous seller on the forum, only to discover the sear wouldn’t engage at half-cock. After removing the lock, I discovered the half cock notch was sheared off. Apart from finding a new tumbler (highly unlikely), what are my options?

Could you get it built back up by tig welding? Then file to shape?

I recently purchased an AMR percussion pistol (Spanish from an unscrupulous seller on the forum, only to discover the sear wouldn’t engage at half-cock. After removing the lock, I discovered the half cock notch was sheared off. Apart from finding a new tumbler (highly unlikely), what are my options?
Track of the Wolf may be able to help. I would call them.
Larry

Since it’s Spanish made, I wonder how close it would be to a cva tumbler. Can you put up some pics, I can compare to my cva stuff after we get back from church.

I discovered the half cock notch was sheared off.
No help sourcing a replacement, but that half cock notch was likely broken from dry firing the set trigger while the gun was in half cock. TC used to tell folks to do it and there are YouTube videos out there made by ignorant knuckleheads showing how to adjust set triggers with the gun in half cock. A bad idea.

I have no idea where you could get a tumber to fit and work in your gun. Maybe start with looking at CVA parts at Deer Creek Products.

That would require heat treating also. I assume the OP woud have to farm that out. Not an inexpensive route in MO.
Larry

Should I decide to simply smooth the area where the half-cock sheared and use the pistol in this fashion (which I am aware is not recommended practice), I can then do away with the fly also, yeah? This a set trigger model.

No help sourcing a replacement, but that half cock notch was likely broken from dry firing the set trigger while the gun was in half cock. TC used to tell folks to do it and there are YouTube videos out there made by ignorant knuckleheads showing how to adjust set triggers with the gun in half cock. A bad idea.

I have no idea where you could get a tumber to fit and work in your gun. Maybe start with looking at CVA parts at Deer Creek Products.

Thanks for chiming in here. That makes sense. The underside of the cock had an impression left by the nipple, so there’s no doubt in my mind it was dry fired considerably. I’m not a happy camper, considering the seller’s description indicated it was like new.

Should I decide to simply smooth the area where the half-cock sheared and use the pistol in this fashion (which I am aware is not recommended practice), I can then do away with the fly also, yeah? This a set trigger model.
You could do that, but you need to think hard about capping. Capping as you know will be at FULL cock and or while you are trying to hold the hammer back and thumb mumble a cap on that way. Neither is a good choice for safety. You can get it fixed if you make it a priority!
Good luck,
Larry

Good point there, Larry. I do, however, use a Ted Cash capper that should (theoretically, at least) simplify the process and offer a bit of a buffer in the event the cock were to fall. Fortunately, it’s got a good strong full cock notch. I’ll look into sourcing a new part or having one forged so I can eventually return it to its proper orientation. Thanks again for the help.

Your correct, no need for the fly without the half cock notch.

I agree with SDSmlf, try Deer Creek, they have helped me with parts.

I have an 1840 French "stalking gun", with the right barrel being rifled, about .35 caliber. The left barrel is smoothbore, about 16 gauge.
The right trigger is a set trigger, push it forward to "set", then light pressure will cause the gun to fire. The left has a simple, single-action trigger.
Beautiful gun, nicely engraved, fantastic wood.
But that right lock has a well-used half-cock that simply will not hold; it is too worn.
And Hamfisted Codger Craig has not the expertise to re-stone that half-cock notch in the tumbler. I suspect that the sear on the hammer could use some help as well. The lock is equipped with a fly - and all interior parts are polished to rival stainless steel.
I'll get it done one of these days, if for no other reason than to take TWO firearms to the range: I have a gorgeous ENGLISH double to match the French one. The English is a straight-forward 15-bore. Both arms are about equal in fit and finish. I have been practicing my French - my English cussing is outstanding, but need to brush up on the French. "Alors" will just not be adequate for something going amiss on the Frenchie.

Latest posts

Back