• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bucks Still in Velvet?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For those of you that are keeping tabs on bucks, either by direct sighting or game cameras, are you noticing late velvet shedding?

Usually by the end of the first week of September, almost all bucks in my area have shed their velvet. We just reviewed about 3000 pictures today, many from just the last couple days, and out of a couple dozen bucks, only one is hard-antlered. Weird! They have shed their summer coats though.

jus checked cams friday...had 3 bucks on one cam thursday nite .all in full velvet,,only have seen one on pics so far this year without....won't be much longer... :thumbsup:

I just put out my gamecam on Friday. I hopefully will have some observations of my own soon.

Jeff

They shed several weeks ago here in the Ozarks of north Arkansas. I saw a young buck nosing the leaves on a tree and urinating his scent directly under it. This was a couple weeks ago, I thought that was early. The young bucks and young does are still running together with no sign of adolescent hanky-panky yet.

Still some hanging shreds of velvet here, but lots of red horns. Kinda neat to see those red racks. But we're right on schedule.

Yep; i've seen several this week while squirrel hunting and all were still i velvet. Very strange!

Still in velvet here in NY ... saw a nice 10 point with 8 to 10 inch tines last night just at dusk and he was all velvet. Probably never see him again.

Dave

All I have seen are still in velvet. Had 5 bucks in front of my house(in town no less) the other morning that were all still fuzzy. Seems like where I live they start pealing about mid Sept. First cool night it will start coming off. Dan.

North East Washington. I just saw two bucks today on the golf course with no velvet and only twenty yards away. Both were six point whitetail and all I had with me was a four iron.

A small six pointer visits our back lot frequently. Last week he was still in velvet but have not seen him since.

jus seen 3 nice buck in field across the road quite a ways away but 2 were sparring,,,an the one that was watchin...was big..an shiny horned,,,
was wonderin I ck'd 6 cams thursday..only had a spike on, still in velvet,,,normally get many buck pics..but so hot an humid..musta stayed in the big gut..with te creek..

I pulled trail cam yesterday evening I have a big 10 and 8 coming in all day long numerous times a day to my stand site and both are still in velvet and the primitive muzzeloading season start tomorrow AM in Kansas. My buddies back home in Michigan say the bucks are out of velvet already. My Ohio buddies say 75% are velvet free, and My Kentucky boys are saying some do some don't have velvet.

The weather cooled down this week and saw a cow horned spike that had pealed and a rub while squirrel hunting Saturday. Dan.

On Saturday, the opening of Bowhunting in MN, several of us saw bucks still in velvet. I saw one forky Sat morning in velvet...Monday evening, no velvet on him. Saturday evening I saw a big hog-bodied 8 pointer with everything from the G2's forward clean and below the G2's still in dried-on velvet. On Sunday, several were seen with hanging strips and bloody antlers, so seems they are now in the process of shedding....about two weeks later than normal for my area.

Seen 2 bucks hunting the last two days here in Kansas both were in full velvet, some are reporting no velvet but not the ones I have seen at least.

Latest posts

Back