• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buffalo/ Bison hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tidbit8

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Group,

Tidbit here.

Could someone direct me to a location or information about bison hunting? I would like to do this in a hunting situtation not as a harvest as many operators are currently doing.

Last I knew---Utah was a state that had a huntable population: maybe Alaska?

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

tid

Mr. tidbit8,
Yep, do believe we have two huntable herds. The permit for doing so is by "draw" and the chance for doing so is available online in May (You will have to check the regs to be certain.), for a modest fee. As I recall, a guide is not required, at this time.
Best Wishes

Utah does have two herds; one on Antelope Island in the GSL and one on the Henty Mountains in S. Utah. Best odds are on the Henry's but still tough to draw. It's considered a Once in a Lifetime hunt in UT. Most UT residents spend about 10-15 years before they draw. Can't remember how many Nonresident tags there are.

Kodiak Cattle Company on Kodiak Island up in Alaska has great hunts. I don't know if they have a web site, but information should be able to give you their number or the number for the owners, Bill and Cathy Burton. They've got a herd of around 400 as I recall and do horseback hunts for lone bulls only. Quality hunts for some real trophies.

I'm on the road right now and can't pass on the relevant phone no's. Sorry bout that detail. I've spent a fair bit of time on the ranch (20,000+ acres) and it's spectacular. I've spent time around the buff's too, and there's nothing tame about them. Fortunately Bill and his son Buck will be with you to get you on the animals and provide backup. They've also got Sitka blacktails on their place, so you could probably arrange a combo hunt in the fall.

Tidbit--

Where are you located? That'd help.

There are buffalo hunts all over the West. Several large ranches in Montana, South Dakota, Nebraska panhandle, Western Kansas, Texas, New Mexico, Utah, Arizona, Colorado have free range herds that can be hunted.

Google Buffalo Hunts and then step back outta the way,,,,,,

FRoup,

thanks for the several replys to this date.

BountyHunter--I am located in Ohio. However, I have been blessed with a somewhat early retirement and have the "somewhat" ability to GO every-now-and-then.

I would go to Alaska but it is a long way and the airfare is a bit prohibitive. Looking more in the lower 48. A Ranch is good but I would really like a hunt and not a harvest. I have looked on some of the web pages and have contacted a couple. Most were honest and replyed that there operation is more of a "harvest": not for me. A true hunt for Bison is not an easy chore. After having been on a couple of hunts I want to do this in tradationl fashion. I am sure you all agree. I have been to ranches and have left somewhat unsatisfied--we have all been there.

thanks for the information.

Going to Goggle--I'll be careful.

tid

I understand completely, and that's why I piped up. If you don't find anything closer to home, remember there are "ranches," and then there are real ranches. If you can find something like Kodiak Cattle Company closer to home, you're in for the real deal. Last time I helped them bring out a bull (very high on B&C), the hunter told me that they'd spent six days on horseback hunting this particular bull. Got to stalk it once or twice a day, but it always sensed them "and took off like a runaway freight train and didn't stop running for several miles." No fences to hem them in.

:v If you really want to go wild, there are several outfitters in Northern Alberta that offer free range hunts for the woodland buffalo herds. Primarily a winter operation as it is too swampy to travel off road un there until the freeze-up.
The buffalo are considered pests if they are out of the reserve area. Primarily a sno-mobile transportation event, the amount of stalking would be up to you and the buffalo. :v

Back