• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

buffalo load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silent sniper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
hey guys i just found out that instead of a boar i have a chance to shoot a buffalo. i dont know yet if i am going to shoot a boar or a buffalo. but i would like to be prepared for either. i think i would use the 54 with 110 grains of powder and a maxiball for the buffalo. would this do the job ? i was planning on having the double barrel 12 guage muzzleloader loaded with roundballs for back-up shots if needed.will this setup work ? thanks SS

I use a .577 Hornady round ball, a 10 wonderlube patch and 100 grains of FFg. Punches clean thru a buffalo at 150 yards. Use the same load for a 550 grain minie ball, does the same thing. Punches clean thru them and puts the on the ground quick. One thing you need to be aware of is that if you dont hit them in the head or break their necks, the tend to run a bit. But with a .54, .58. .62, etc, they leave a very impressive blood trail.

That would probably work. My first buffalo was taken with two .54 Great plains conicals with 80 grns. of 2f. It took two hits in the chest cavity. Last week I used a .62 RB with 85 grns. 2f and shot it in the neck. Dropped her where she stood. :thumbsup:

silent sniper said:
hey guys i just found out that instead of a boar i have a chance to shoot a buffalo. i dont know yet if i am going to shoot a boar or a buffalo. but i would like to be prepared for either. i think i would use the 54 with 110 grains of powder and a maxiball for the buffalo. would this do the job ? i was planning on having the double barrel 12 guage muzzleloader loaded with roundballs for back-up shots if needed.will this setup work ? thanks SS

Distance WILL matter....I shot My buff with a .54 PRB over 90 grains of Pyro RS at 40-ish yards; Went alomost all the way through the neck taking out the spine on the way (find the ear...3" down and 6" back). Droped him like the proverbial sack of poo. I would trust that load out to 75-ish yards...Further and Id probably just switch to a accurate connical for penetration purposes.

Back