• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bullet / Patch Lubes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
I use a mix of Wonder Lube and Alox on my muzzleloading bullets (MINIE-BALLS) and #13 for patches...

Some others are:
Wonder Lube, #13, Spit, Bee's Wax, Oils, Tallow,
Crisco, Ol' Griz Patch Lube, Bear Greese, Alox, Bore Butter, Blue and Gray Patch Lube, Mink Oil, Bore Clean, Ect....
The list goes on and on....

What do you use on your bullets and patches?

I use a 4/1 mix of olive oil/bee's wax, it's basically bascillicon(sp) without the herbal additives. The ratio it thick enough that it won't run if you fill the stock hole on a Southern Poorboy, but it's surface liquifies enough when rubbed to quickly lube a patch or saturate a rag for waterproofing something. I use it for patch lube, wood protectant, metal protectant, lip balm, dry hands, leather protectant, and it's not bad in locks as it doesn't freeze. I use it for everything and go through a lot of it!

This mixture sounds fine, I'll try it this fall...
Thanks...
smile.gif

I like the olive oil/bees wax but go heavier on the wax probably 70% oil/30% wax I like to substitute bear oil for olive oil as well and go up to 60/40 but I use it very sparingly only on the bore side of the patch I have always thought that with lubes a little is better than a lot.

Back