• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

burning patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Iam am returning to my blackpowder hobbies and went shooting today. I shot a 62 caliber canoe gun I had not fired yet. I had no problems but I noticed may patches were ablaze after each shot. I dont remember what causes this, and was looking for advice. Shooting a .600 ball and .10 patch on top of 60 gr of 2f. Thanks.

What kind of lube are you using on the patches? Sounds like you need to use more lube or put a wad under the ball and patch.

You may be using a patch that is too thin for the ball and bore. Measure your bore with inside calipers, and then choose your patch thickness based on what the actual bore diameter is, and not what it is listed at by the factory. There can be a wide variation. You do have to lube the patches, and use a good lube at that. Can you tell us what lube you used? Normally, that light a charge of FFg should not be burning the patches. Does the fire start on the edge, or fring of the patch, or in the middle of the back of the ball, or where?

Paul

I use a .60 ball in my .62 trade gun. My normal target load is 65 gr. 3f with a pillow tick patch. Don't know the thickness of the patch, never measured it, but I need a short starter to get it started. I spit patch for target shooting and use wonder lube for hunting. I have never had a smoking patch with either of these lubes. I think that your patch is too thin as was said. I think with a thicker patch and properly lubed you will be fine.

I am using oxyoke prelubed patches. I cant tell where the patche starts burning. It kind of shredded into a smoldering mess. not much left of it. I will try miking the bore. Shot fine in my other 62. Thanks for the imput you all

Sounds like the patch is too thin, then. A prelubed patch should not burn unless it is allowing gas to blow by it, and start the edges on fire, in a smoothbore. Just because its prelubed, doesn't mean its the correct size patch for that ball and bore combination.

Back