• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Burnt Cork

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anybody try it for face camo? Does it wash off easy enough? :hmm: Seems like it would be a fairly historical-correct camo...

Works great and comes off pretty easy. My dad used put it on me before I actually hunted and just went along. That way he didn't have to spend the money on face paint and the camo nets before I decided I liked hunting or not. I still don't buy that stuff . The cork still works fine. If it ain't broke don't fix it :grin:

I've never used burnt cork. What do you do, just burn the end of the cork, making it so you can use it over and over until it is used up, or do you burn the whole thing and rub the ashes on your face?

May be a silly question to some, but I've got to know. Thanks.

Outdoorman

outdoorman said:
I've never used burnt cork. What do you do, just burn the end of the cork, making it so you can use it over and over until it is used up, or do you burn the whole thing and rub the ashes on your face?

May be a silly question to some, but I've got to know. Thanks.

Outdoorman

Just burn the end and use it like a marker to apply it to your skin.

HD

Of course you put out the flames and let it cool off first, otherwise it could be a painful application :rotf:

Wouldn't a piece of common charcoal work just as well?
As a kid I just smeared mud on my face. Later, I used military camoflage face paint in green, black and brown, but now I simply tie a large camoflage bandana over my face, bandit style.

Charcoal brickettes are way too hard to use for coloring your face. Burned(charred) cork works much better.

If you have access to lamp black( Burn white gas in a kerosene lamp, for instance) you can mix this with cold cream to make a black cream make up. The benefit of using the cold cream is that its much easier to remove from your face when you finish your hunt, than many other kinds of "paints".

I have used burned cork, and it works well, It just takes a lot of soap and water to get it off.

I have found some pretty hard charred wood after forest fires. IMHO, I would be looking for charred punk- the soft wood from rotten wood, to use on my face. But, char is char- and it will blacken your face.

Back