• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

buying flints

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David P

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Once you find exactly what size flint works best in your rifle you need a way to make sure you buy just that size. I came up with an idea that works good for me. I took the plastic lid off a coffee can and cut a piece the size of a credit card so it fits in my wallet. Next I layed out the top and side profile of the perfect flint size for my rifle on this card. I cut these profiles out on the card and now I always have a guage with me when I find flints for sale. If you have more than one rifle you can get more than one template on a card if you lay out carefully.

Here's something that might be of additional help...reference chart from Track of the Wolf's web site:

TomFullerBlackEnglishFlints.jpg

roundball said:
Here's something that might be of additional help...reference chart from Track of the Wolf's web site:

TomFullerBlackEnglishFlints.jpg

In one way, that is very misleading.
I haven't seen flints that flat since my last shipment from Gunter Stifter in Germany.
And, those are perfectly shaped sawn flints. :haha:

Rich Pierce +1. I got a bunch from Rich some time back and they were really good. Shape, size and sparks. better yet was his price.
Mark

I ordered 3 dozen flints from Mr. Pierce on March 17. He had 30 dozen ahead of me. Today June 17 I have never received my order to date. He must be very busy. I ordered from TOTW and received excellent English flints in 3 days. They work great in my older CVA Hawken. My new T.C. Hawken is still in the box that led me to this site back in the winter. The ole CVA is a tackdriver even with wobbley me doing the shooting.

lonehorseman said:
I recently ordered 3 sizes from Track. Most all looked just like the photos. Very good rocks.

The flints I've ordered randomly from Track have been about 50% flat and 50% humpbacks. They are pretty accomodating though if you add a note to your order specifying a specific shape.

I went to Dixon's builder's fair last year and did just what you did. I took a gage that I made out of aluminum and I sorted through boxes of flints to get just the right ones. I still had to do a lot of diamond filing to get them the way I wanted them. Now I just buy the sawed flints and use the diamond file to keep them sharp.From the traditional stand-point I like the knapped flints but I admit that I cheat and use sawen flints most of the time.

.From the traditional stand-point I like the knapped flints but I admit that I cheat and use sawen flints most of the time.

No need to suffer from hc/pc/authentic desertion auges. Sawn flints go way-way back in history. Usually only found on presentation grade guns for the upper class. But they were used long before flush toilets.

Yep, wouldn't be caught dead without one......well, actually wouldn't need one in that case. But it does pay to be prepared. :rotf:

Back