• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buying lead

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jumpshot

54 Cal.
Reaction score
After years of buying commercial swaged roundballs, I'm finally looking into starting casting so I can make conicals. I was browing some of the lead available on eBay, but I don't know what to look for.

Is there a going price for lead by the pound? I need to know that so I know what's reasonable and what's not.

Also, some offers are listed as made from wheel weights, or sheeting, or lead pipe, or just 'scrap lead' (of course, they all say 'very clean' or 'close to pure'). How do I know what to look for?

I would look in salvage yards for pure lead such as roofing flashing, shower stall bases, plumbers lead, etc. The lead I have seen on ebay is suspect unless the seller can guarantee it is close to pure. I did get a good buy one time and it turned out to be fairly hard, probably wheel weight lead (which I can use in cartridge guns). You will probably end up paying a bit over $1.00 per pound on auction sites, and I think you should be able to buy some locally for half that.

The adhesive stick on wheel weights are soft pure lead. The clip on wheel weights are alloyed with atimony and are much harder.

I think you can get lead at most scrap yards for 40cents a pound or less. I just got about 200 lb from my brother who took out an x ray room..

I use to get my lead at recycle centers. Sheet lead is very good, but seems harder to find lately. I bought 50 pounds of soft lead ingots off of ebay for $43.00, shipping included. Shipping is usually by USPS flat rate, which is about $10.00. Look for ingots made from sheet lead or lead pipes. Good luck.

If you are interested, I can put you in touch with a buddy who has purchased a bunch of lead water pipe. He has it smelted down into about 7-8 pound "loaves". I would guess about 50-60 pounds would fit in a Flat Rate box. Emery

monkeykoder said:
I would think the shipping on lead would be rather expensive...

Actually, the USP has a good deal on their flat rate prices.
The small box rate is under 5.00 and you can ship a lot of lead in it. Their max weight is 70 lbs, in the flat rate boxes.

Rotometals advertizes on this forum. The lead will be pure and if you buy $100 woth it will have free shipping. You will get approx. 67 lbs.

The only downside is it is shipped USPS. The little old lady that delivers my mail can't lift the package. This will require some special coordination with the post office.

I buy lead ingots from Rotometals. Ingot weight is around 4-5 lbs, and the lead is about as pure as you're likely to find. Right now the ingots are going for $1.59 per lb. for 0-49 lbs. $1.51 for 50-199 lbs. And free shipping on orders over $99.

Or, if you really do alot of casting, they have a "bundle" of ingots (1950 - 2250 lbs.) for $0.89 per lb. Of course, they don't offer free shipping on that. :rotf:

Luckily, I've never had trouble getting my mail lady to deliver it, but they also know me well enough that they can just leave a note if there's something too heavy, and I'll pick it up.

KV Rummer said:
The lead will be pure and if you buy $100 worth it will have free shipping. You will get approx. 67 lbs.

$1.50 per pound!!! :surrender: Wow, guess it's been too long since I bought lead. Last time I bought any, I got 1000 lbs for $90. Only have 750 lbs left.

Went to the metall recycling yard and picked up some really nice lead for 48 cents/lb.
I bought about 50 lbs. That should be enough for some time....

To the guys that like to scrounge for lead, great. If you want to drive around and look for lead that could be fun for some. I personally would rather buy from Rotometal, WHY? Well this is why. My rifles shoot best with a paper patched conical. My rifles like their bullets to be soft. By that I mean between 6BHN and 7BHN. How hard is your lead that you get at the junk yard? I bet you scratch it with your thumb and by golly that is PURE!
I have bought lead from ebay that was "pure" and it was 22BHN. 22BHN can be shot out of centerfire rifles. The stuff was so hard I had to beat the first one down the pipe. After that I got a Cabin Tree tester. That tester saved me a ton of money by NOT buying junk lead. I turned down a LOT of cheep lead. To me free lead that is hard is not worth my time and gas to go get it. So I went with Rotometal lead. It is perfectly soft. It is the same every time. Why is that important. Here is why. Ron

6shotgroup100yardsTC458.jpg

500SW3-22-08small.jpg

Back