• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

C Scrolls and S Scrolls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Much of the carving which was done on Pennsylvania Rifles are in the form of either C's or S's or both. These have been labeled C Scrolls and S scrolls.
They usually start out as large curves which get ever tighter as they wrap around on themselves.

Many people, like myself are very limited in our ability to draw a sweeping ever tightening spiral or even a nice straight line freehand.
This is true of Draftsmen as well. You know, the guys/gals who make their living making Engineering and Architectural drawings (like me).
Those who have not been placed behind a CADDS type computer must still make these forms by hand.

Yes, I know, you don't want to take up a new line of work so what does this have to do with guns?

These Draftsmen (I refuse to call them Drafters. Just old fashoned I guess) use templates to make many of the more common forms, and one of these forms is called an ellipse.
It is nothing more than an egg shaped form, but the interesting thing is these egg shaped forms if not completed, but mated up with another smaller egg shaped form every 90 degrees will form a decreasing spirel just like the Carving on a old GUN!!

These templates are available from places which specialize in drafting tools/making blue/white prints etc.
They are not inexpensive but IMO, if you plan on doing carving on a $200 piece of wood, spending some money on some templates is worth considering.
Also, don't be too cheap. Buying a full set of small ellipse templates (1/4 dia to 2 inch dia at 20 degrees thru 60 degrees) may be money well spent. The 20 degree ellipse is really flattned. The closer the angle is to 90 degrees, the closer the shape is to a true circle.
(These templates are made of a tough flexable plastic so they can be bent to fit against the side of your stock)
There are many sources, and I just picked out one which is shown below:
http://www.reuels.com/reuels/product20961.html

Also, while your at that site or at a supply store, get at least one (more is better) "French Curve". These have the long, flowing lines which tie the C and S scrolls together.
These French Curves are usually made of hard plastic which will not bend against your stock, but can be held in place with one hand while you draw the curved line.

If you get some of these ellipse templates and French Curves, practice on some paper with them before you start drawing on your stock. You will impress yourself with your new found ability.

If your really on a tight budget, just a couple of different French Curves can often be enough to make some very nice forms and you may be able to find some of these at places like Office Max or Staples.

If you decide to buy some of these tools, and you try to draw some nice forms with them do not be discouraged if it doesn't look "right". I will often draw a form 15 or more times before it looks like what I want to carve.

Zonie-

When I was working with pencile, pen and paper and had a drafting table in front of me, I was a draftsman. Now the engineers have drafting tables, and I have a flat desk and a computer. Now I am a drafter! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Another tool that I recommend is the adjustable curve. It is a metal tool covered in plastic, usually blue. You can bend it into a multitude of shapes, and then trace the curves with a pencil. I took it and my adjustable triangle home when I had new engineers coming to my desk asking "what are those?" :shocking:

Latest posts

Back