• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabela's Blue Ridge Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark_fare

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am almost at the point of purchasing the Blue Ridge Flintlock rifle in .36. Does this gun have a hooked breech system?

And all you forum members out there who own one, please chime in with your opinions and experiences with your rifle. Thank you.

I have one in .50 and it does not have a hooked breech. It does have a patent breech, so make sure you get a small enough brush to clean that out. I learned the hard way! It's not bad for a shelf gun and mine shoots well. All things considered and for the price, the lock is fair and I feel it is a good bargain if it fits the max of your budget.

Check this thread[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/203436[/url]/

Last edited by a moderator:
I went and looked at that thread, but it doesn't make alot of sense to me. (And I'm a Tool and Die Maker!) I have a Pedersoli Kentucky Pistol, does this weapon have a "patent breech"? There is no sign of any hole being drilled all the way through the breech end of the barrel.

Ok, I went and read the info on Google and now it makes sense. Not all patent breeches have clean out screws in them, that seems to be a characteristic of The Nock's Patent Breech.

Mark,
You are as dumb as I am :youcrazy: . Should have bought it when the .36 and .54 were on sale for $409. I was going to go for the .54, when all of a sudden the price sky rocketed. I have a .45 Blue Ridge flint that I just love. Sure sparker, fast action and a straight shooter. I bought it 10 years ago and it's still a great rifle. At the current prices, for a little more you could get a nice semi-custom rifle. Just something to think about before you lay out the bucks. The Blue Ridge is a fine rifle and there is not a day that goes by I don't kick myself for waiting.

I've only had percussion guns for the last 20 years. About three months ago I bought myself a Pedersoli Kentucky Pistol in .54, flintlock. Now I'm addicted to the firelock!!!!

I have one in 50 cal. The tang is part of the breech-plug, the touch-hole and vent liner are well ahead of the the breech plug, so I don't believe it would qualify as a patent breech.
It does shoot very well with a .490" ball,.010"patch and 70gr of FFg. Keep the priming away from the vent. I've found that I get more dependable ignition with FFg or FFFg in the pan on rainy days. FFFFg is not coated and tends to soak up moisture, turning to goo. :thumbsup:

Here ya go .. some info from prvious posts ... :hatsoff:
[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.../201282/post/349137/hl/pedersoli+davy/#349137[/url]

Davy

I bought the .32 Blue Ridge in Dec. Fine gun. Then
two days ago received a .36 barrel for the rifle.

The .36 barrel is a dead image of the .32, of course, in a .36 cal. Mine are all percusion, but the barrels between the flint and cap are basically the same. Both seem to have the patent breech.

BTW Pedersoli has breech cleaning brushes and a jag.
Might on the pricy side, but a .22 cal. brush does
very well.

TK

cowpoke1955 said:
Mark,
At the current prices, for a little more you could get a nice semi-custom rifle. Just something to think about before you lay out the bucks.

A good source for a good inexpensive semi-custom rifle is Early Rustic Arms.[url] http://www.earlyrusticarms.com/main.htm[/url]

They don't make a 36, but they do make a 40 and may put a .36 barrel on one of thier guns as a special order.

IMHO, I would suggest spending a coupla extra bucks and order the Chambers lock over the L&R if you decide to go with Early Rustic.

IMHO, Petersoli's quality is hit and miss. For just a little more you can have a quality rifle from an American maker who backs his work.

J.D.

I bought one from Cabelas in .54 flint (as a Frontier). I was lucky enough to buy it when they were on sale - jut before it ended. I read so many good things about the rifle on this forum that I decided to go ahead and lay the money down. I knew that if the reports that were written here were favorable - then I was confident that it would be a good purchase. And it was. I very much appreciate the size of the frizzen. The only issue I have is that I would like to know where to get parts.

Deaconjo said:
The only issue I have is that I would like to know where to get parts.

Yeah, so would a lot of other people. Parts are supposed to be avaiable through Thunder Ridge, but check the prices. You can buy custom made parts for what Petersoli wants for thier cheap made spare parts that may, or may not, fit correctly.

Check the prices on complete locks. For the same price, and in some cases for almost half the price you can get a high quality Chambers or L&R lock with their very good guarantee.

One of the things I don't like about Petersoli is their warrantee service after the sale. IMHO, it's nonexistent, as are parts, for the most part.

Petersoli makes their cheap guns for the American market, 'cause we, as a nation, are too cheap pay for quality. The cheap guns translates to spotty quality and little or no after market service. IMHO, They got your money, mine too, and leave us to swing in the wind when the guns don't work right.

Petersoli's quality and parts accessability are so spotty, that many ML gunsmiths won't even work on them.

The good ones can be very good, but the bad ones can be VERY BAD...and very difficult to make right.

IMHO, anyone wanting a good ML gun should stay with an AMerican maker, even if it costs a coupla hundred more. The difference in quality is like night and day. And IF the gun breaks, notice I said IF and not WHEN the gun breaks, parts are readily available.

IMHO, the people who rave about how good Petersoli's guns are haven't owned a good one and wouldn't know a quality ML gun from a hole in the ground.

I say that from experience, 'cause I own two Petersolis and one semi custom gun that is far and away higher qulity. Not to mention I have had to rebuild the lock on the Bess as well as doing a good bit of work on the blue ridge.

My next gun will be a full custom gun made with high quality parts that I pick. This one's going to be right.
J.D.

check these guys out[url] http://www.avsia.com/tvm/[/url]
I ordered a Southern rifle in .36 cal. It comes with either a GM or Long Hammock barrel, Davis triggers, and a Chambers small siler lock. Matt and Toni are awesome to deal with too :hatsoff:

Josh

J.D.,
With the recent price jump, some of us are starting to see the light, me included. I am really impressed with Early Rustic Arms. Thanks to the economy and to people like you, I'll finally get a quality rifle. Have to wait till we move and get settled in, but the wife says go for it. So many rifles, have to decide which one :hmm: .

Back