• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cabelas sporterized hawken carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sar

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone have one? I'm looking at it vs possibly a deerstalker as a spot and stalk hog gun. Most of my shots will be pretty short and the shorter barrel vs the deerstalker is nice. It's only 21 inches. If you have one, please post your thoughts and experiences with it. About how far is your max range?

Is it made by investarms?

Yes, they are made by Investarm. I have the Hawken in .50 - the long version with the brass furniture. I have held the hunter carbine. It IS short. IIRC, the bore is chrome and has a twist for conicals. The recoil pad is a nice touch if you shoot heavy loads. I kind of liked it but did not buy it.

The TC has a slight edge on finish, and a huge edge on warranty. There is nothing wrong with Investarm products...

T/C made a White Mountain Carbine, with a 21" barrel, and they made another but the name eludes me right now.I have shot a White Mountain in .50 cal, but did not like the shorter barrel. I have been using the Lyman Deerstalker for the past 16 years and really like it. I have now gone to a longer barrel with the Trade rifle.

playfarmers, you might be thinking of the T/C Grey Hawk? It has a very short stainless barrel, black synthetic stock, stainless side lock as well as other stainless parts.

I had a Grey Hawk and liked it. Think it was discontinued due to those "other" more modern type rifles.

Saw a Grey Hawk at a gun show recently and it was quite inexpensive. Seems like it would fill the bill as a handy light rifle if p.c. was not needed or desired.

I bought one in .54 several years ago for one of my kids and have found it to be a great little rifle. At the time I did not know the barrel was chromed but I find that to be a nice touch and beneficial during cleaning. I shoot 100 grains Pyrodex RS with TC Maxi-Hunter, sighted dead on at 50 yards. The only change I have made is converting to fiber optic sights which was tough since the gun is Italian and the barrel flats are a little odd in dimension. My personal gun is a TC Renegade in .54, but I take the Cabela's Hawken every chance I get.

I'd have to hold one in my hands to offer final judgement. I've got my eye open for a short gun, but the first priority is that the center of gravity fall right between my hands.

I don't want it to replace my GPR, but it in addition to it for better handling in hunts featuring fast shots in close quarters. The GPR is terrific for more deliberate shooting and longer offhand shots due to its forward center of gravity, but it's pretty slow to swing and shoot when speed counts. Shorter guns with a more centered COG has proven much more useful in close quarters.

My mind had been running toward the Lyman Deerstalker, but others would do if they met my COG criteria. At $235 from Midsouth, it will be hard to beat the Lyman for price, and I can sure testify for quality in the other Lyman rifles I own. If the Cabelas was more than that, I'd have a hard look at the Lyman while you're kicking the idea around.

Brown Bear,

i'm in nearly your same position. I have a GPR, but want a shorter rifle as well. I'm between the deerstalker and the cabelas. The cabelas is significantly shorter and lighter and I'm thinking of using this for spot and stalk. I just wish I could find some real-life feedback on it.

I don't recall when or where, but I have read positive things about the Cabelas. I'm hesitant because I haven't actually had one in my hands to see how it balanced. I'm really particular in what I'm looking for, and I have handled and shot a friend's Deerstalker. It was about as right as right can be for my tastes. It has a 1:48, so I'll be able to continue using RBs.

I don't think you have anything to worry about quality-wise with the Cabelas, and there's always their guarantee to fall back on if need be. But I'd sure try to handle one first to make sure it suits your tastes there. I just checked, and on this page it's listed with a 1:48 twist 28" barrel just like the hunter, while on this page it's listed at 1:24 and 21". Probably sloppy web work, but it would be worth a call to clarify before buying. It wouldn't suit my needs if in fact it's 1:24, but your choice may differ. Looks like it may cost you about $100 more than the Deerstalker from Midsouth, too.

I would say go with the Deerstalker. It is well balanced and shoots round balls or short conicals well. I have used one for the past 16 years and just started to use my new Lyman Trade rifle. It is not near as fast to swing on target as the Deerstalker, but is still a nice rifle. I got 2 deer this year with the Trade, but also missed 2 that I feel the Deerstalker would have had.

The cabelas hunter is longer. The carbine is what I'm interested in and only has a 21 inch barrel and is quite light. I'm ok shooting conicals out of it. I'd go with a maxi or something.

Latest posts

Back