• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabin Creek Kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nobody eles' compares to a Kibler kit. Kibler kits are all CDC, both wood and metal. IT all fits together with little to no work. You just assemble and take tiny cuts here and there to make it go more smoothly. A beginner with tools and basic skills can make a beautiful rifle out of one. Kiblers locks are CNC made. They are the best modern mass produced locks.

All other parts sets, excluding Chambers, are basically the same. A vendor sources individual parts and bundles them in a parts set. They do not make "kits". None are much different than anyone elses'.

All of the bundled part sets require extensive work. You get a box of parts that an experienced builder can usually make a rifle from, calling them a "kit" is optimistic. A new builder can do it but do not expect perfection on the first several. Parts sets' stocks often have serious flaws that can sometimes be overcome, sometime not. The locks are made from hastily assembled casting sets. Quality can be poor.

Last edited:
Almost all locks out there today can benefit from a tuning, but you should be careful with heat around lock internals. The temper may be altered and cause you problems down the road. Same with frizzens. There you may drive the carbon from the face and need to re-infuse it. That's a discussion for another day however.

I have no hands on personal experience with the Cabin Creek gun and rifle kits. I think the OP would like to hear from people who have.

However, I do have experience with locks from Cabin Creek. Brad Emig, the proprietor, advertises his services as "The Lock Doctor," and kit descriptions indicate the locks that come with those kits have been tuned in the Cabin Creek shop. I sent him two problematic flint locks, one from Pedersoli and one from L&R. In a remarkably short time and for a very reasonable price, I received two locks which I believe function as well as any you could expect to buy. I have no doubt that if you order a Cabin Creek kit, you will get a fine lock with it.

Kit descriptions on the Cabin Creek website give very precise stock dimensions regarding drop, cast, and length of pull. This indicates a great deal of the shaping has already been done, and the descriptions also state much of the inletting has also been done. I believe Brad and Shane design at least some of the hardware that goes in many of their kits, and have these parts cast to their specifications. It is my impression that these really are carefully designed and thought-out kits rather than parts sets, but I will admit I have not personally bought and assembled one. Not yet, anyway.

@Alexander Efremenko recently sold a Blue Mountain rifle, stocked in ash, which I believe he said he built from one of the Cabin Creek kits. Alex is a professional builder himself. If I were seriously interested in knowing more about the Cabin Creek kits, I would send Mr. Efremenko a private message and ask him his opinion. He would know from experience, and could also give some professional insight.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Back