• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabin Creeks' Pennsylvania Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was searching the web for info on Schimmel rifles and came across Cabin Creeks website, anyone built one of their Pennsylvania Mountain rifles? They look good and the price is about right. Any thoughts?
Also, are there any sites that may be helpful on researching Schimmels? Thanks loojack

There is nothing wrong with Cabin Creeks kits. Although I have never built one, Brad Emig is a terific guy and will help you with any problem you have. Just like most kits, they don't just snap together. I have known those who have built kits from him and were more than pleased.

Allen Martin makes a beutiful gun but you have to have pretty deep pockets. He has a long waiting list but if you have the money, it's worth the wait.

Allen Martin Longrifles <---- Double Click Here !!!

Pennsylvania Blue Ridge Mt. Rifle "Schimmel"

A lower costing rifle or fowler that has great architecture and uses the same quality parts and is built as well as a fancy rifle without the art.

No buttplate, entry pipe, sideplate and nosecap. A sliding wood patchbox is not out of the question. A wonderful hunting gun and or match rifle.

The "Schimmel" is normally built on the Berks and Lehigh Co. pattern. The survival rate of the original plain guns is very low as they were use very hard and often hung in the barn and became rusty and moldy, hence the German word "Schimmel".

paschimmel2.jpg

paschimmel4.jpg

I have one of his Yorktowns in a Lefty that I got Back in 1990 Still shoots Good I would recommend his work :imo:

Eric Kittenburg is building some nice barn guns on the Allentown pattern. He also does some deep pocket work on Lehigh Vally rifles.

He is a scholar as well as a craftsman and has extensive reserch material available on his website. He covers thoughts on the barn gun in his notes on plain rifles. His web site will keep you busy for a good evening.

www.firelocks.com

Hi Loojack I built one of brads kits york rifle and I was torn between it and the Pa Mtn rifle your looking at I had handled both completed guns in his shop and realy liked both . The schimmel is nice in its on way no butt plate but curved nicley and fit well with the colerain swamped barrel it handles nice . It's far easier to put togehter than the york he has holes already placed for the siler lock you just need to mark and tap your lock plate.The butt is mostly shaped so there isnt much in the way of stock shaping you have to do other then in front of the lock panel he lets the wood blocked off for you to clamp in your vise . He had his display peice done in curly ash the last i was down very nice indeed . I better stop i'll talk myself into buying one to put together !! :yakyak: :peace:

Thanks for all the input! Lots of great stuff out there! About the time I think I've made up my mind, I find something else that catches my eye!!!
Just sorry I can't afford them all.....maybe if the wife lets me empty our 410k account......hmmmmmmmm. Thanks again!......loojack

Built the Cabin Creek Yorktown rifle. I love it and it is a great shooter. Brad is great to deal with and if you have a question he will take the required time to get you straightened out. I highly recommend Cabin Creek and Brad Emig.

Loojack, I haven't built a Cabin Creek kit, but I own two Yorktown's built by Brad Emig. I bought the first one several years ago from Brad as a used, left-handed, .50 cal. It wasn't beautiful, but it could shoot! I gave that one to my son, another lefty, and had Brad build me a rather plain Yorktown with a wooden patch box. Both my son and I have taken our share of PA. whitetails with our Cabin Creek flintlocks, and we have no complaints.
I agree with Tucoblue, Brad Emig is a straight shooter, and he will not be satisfied until you are a proud and happy owner! :agree: :imo:

Back