• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cal. change?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreglerD

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello from Germany!

Having more and more the possibility to hunt at bigger game than roedeer (redstag and wild boar) I'm thinking about change of cal. from .50 to .54. I have already the nice eastern tenn.poorboy flinter from Roy in .54, but I think I'll need a capper too. :grin: Certainly for target practice I'll keep my .50 Woodsman. :thumbsup:

What do you think!

Regards

Kirrmeister

What He said! :thumbsup: Spend time with your flinter, make good friends with it and you'll find that it is faster and more reliable than your cap lock.

I am never against any guy buying more guns, but I have to agree with the others: You already have a .54. Get to know that rifle, and how a flintlock works. . It does take a bit more on the learning curve. But, It will do everything you think you can do with a caplock, but better.

For hunting, 70-90 grains of 2F powder, or 80 grains approx. for 3F powder will give you all the push you need on a PRB to take any animal you are likely to hunt in Europe. From the stories you have already sent, its obvious that you are a good enough hunter to get well within 100 meters of your quarry, and that is more than half the battle.

If you have questions about shooting a flintlock, read my article. You can find it under " Member Resources" on the Index page of this forum. Scroll down to " Articles, Charts, and Links", then click on Articles. You will see a "Table of Contents" listing about 10 articles. I believe the article on Shooting Flintlocks is the second one on the list. If you have any other questions, PT me and I will be happy to help.

My brother bought his first flintlock about 5 years ago, now. He had been shooting Percussion guns since 1963! He had problems. But, he also had me, and we got him up to speed in about a year.

He knew he had "arrived" When some other shooters on the range, shooting caplock guns, came over to ask him how he got that flintlock to fire so fast, then looked at his target, and told him he was shooting a lot better than they were! We had a good laugh about his " arrival" when he called me on his cellphone on his way home from the range.

He still shoots percussion guns, but in between " seasons", he finds himself shooting his flintlocks more, and more. Seasons for him are some target matches in the Spring.

Hello guys!

Thanks for your replies! The point of my posting is not the ignition system, but the cal. I wanted to know which cal. is better for hunting at the kind of big game I named and not which kind of ignition. So sorry for your misunderstanding!

Regards

Kirrmeister

Kirrmeister,

If I were you, I would take a look at my own country's history.

What was the arm of choice when hunting boar and stag in Germany? It was the jaegerbusche, just what has been debated here this week. Short barrel, large caliber.

I have a jaegerbusche in .58, wish I had got it in .62. I hunted Russian Boar in Turkey in the '70's with a 12 guage shotgun. I didn't find it to be too much gun.

Cheers, Bill

I would not feel handicapped hunting those animals with that .54. That having been said, IF I were shopping for a NEW rifle, in a large caliber JUST FOR HUNTING Wild Boar, or large deer,( ELK, here)< I would choose a .58. I think the .58 has proven itself to be a sure killing machine on wildlife, or large sizes. I own a 62 caliber fowler, in which I can shoot RB, but I have no intention of stuffing it with large powder charges. I don't want the recoil, nor do I want or need the power. The 325 grain RB fired out of my fowler is a huge ball, that just expands and gets bigger after it hits flesh.

If you shoot a .58 instead, You CAN use larger powder charges before the recoil says "STOP"! But, it is also shooting a huge slug, and frankly, I don't think any animal is going to know the difference between being hit with a .58, vs. a .62 caliber RB or slug. The .58 would give you a bit more " Point-blank" range, than a .62.

However, since its extremely rare to find shots at these large animals taken at over 100 yards with any BP rifle, I think the .58 is all the edge you will ever need. Because I have my fowler in .62 caliber, I have no interest in acquiring another rifle in .58 or .62. I know I can hit deer sized game with my fowler out past 50 yds, and that is all I need to kill game.

paulvallandigham said:
I would not feel handicapped hunting those animals with that .54. That having been said, IF I were shopping for a NEW rifle, in a large caliber JUST FOR HUNTING Wild Boar, or large deer,( ELK, here)< I would choose a .58. I think the .58 has proven itself to be a sure killing machine on wildlife, or large sizes. However, since its extremely rare to find shots at these large animals taken at over 100 yards with any BP rifle, I think the .58 is all the edge you will ever need. Because I have my fowler in .62 caliber, I have no interest in acquiring another rifle in .58 or .62. I know I can hit deer sized game with my fowler out past 50 yds, and that is all I need to kill game.

I agree with Paul, Kirmmeister. You might want to go to a .58. And while the southern rifles are nice, I have one in .54 and love it, the narrow stock dimensions aren't ideal for stout loads. That's why I'm having a .58 jaeger built, the stock is designed to handle the heavier recoil from full-power loads.

Well then, a .54 will, with proper shot placement, kill anything that walks this earth. Under the conditions that you hunt under in Germany, I was stationed at Kitzigen, near Wurzburg (sp) and spent many ours watching the JagerMiester out in the field,I see no need for anything larger. .54 is a good big game gun for Boar, Red Deer, Fallow, a bit large for Roe Deer and the like. One has no need for a field Howitzer to kill anything, unless they can;t shoot worth their salt, which buy reading your posts, you don't have that problem. Have fun with it.

Thanks to all respondres, so I think I'll make the change to .54 with all my rifles, flinters and cappers.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Back