• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Calling T.C. Albert

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi T.C.: I made up a batch of cider vinegar harness stain and it works just great. Do you filter out the gunk once a batch has brewed? Does it have a long shelf life?
Thanks again for your fine book!

Filter the gunk. just pour the mix through an old T-shirt, or a coffee filter in a strainer. This is vinegar. It will do okay if its in a closed container, without a lot of air in it. Otherwise, mold will grow. You can strain the crud out if its moldy, but keeping the jar full, and in a cool location, will go along way to avoiding the necessity. the mold won't affect the staining properties of the mix, however. Depending on the color of the stain made, the mold could affect the color a bit.

Hey...thanks Bill...glad the book is a help.
I never really strain the stuff, but let it work off all it wants to in the jar...the foam settles eventually...

I have however started to draw off as much as I need with a turkey baster though...I draw off just what I need to do a bag and put it in an old coffee cup when I stain a bag.. and then toss off any left overs never pouring them back into the jar. This keeps any tannin leached from the leather and into my sponge from getting back into the jar of vinigaroon and really seems to keep the stain a bit cleaner.

I was getting alot of precipitate when I was dipping my sponge into the jar directly after applying it to the leather a few times...plus, using the baster to draw off what I need with out ever needing to tip the jar,all the iron sledge and dregs stay settled at the bottom...

The stuff seems to last for a long long time...I have two jars going at all times, the older one Im using, and a newer one thats working...when the old one gets about used up, I just refill it with vinegar and set it aside to work while I begin using the other one. I have some that still stains great and is well over a year old now...

Hope that helps some Bill...
TCA

Golly, TC....

You make that sound like good sour dough. Kinda has a life of it's own and just keeps turning out great bread....er, stain,,,, for generation after generation.

Nice hearing first hand from a great "cook!" :rotf:

Well...it does seem to almost self perpetuate...but I have big chunks of pure old wroght iron in the bottom of the jar that are the real secret...similar success with substitutes like balls of steel wool etc...may not regenerate nearly as well, if at all?
TCA

T.C.: I used some old rusted carriage bolts, a hank of rusty wire and some nails recovered from the burn pile. Worked like a charm, but it would be nice to have a bit of wrought just for luck!

Mr.Albert, great book by the way. I made a copy of the pouch on the cover. I thought that pouch would be more fitting for my granddaughter, the hearts and stuff. My question is,can I use a plastic bottle versus a glass bottle? I do much better with plastic. I have batch brewing that looks good and is working real well on a pouch that is in the process. The vinegar comes in a plastic bottle?

Im not sure about the plastic...Im sure something will leach into the solution but cant imagine how it could mess up the stain...give it a whirl, and I honestly think you will get good results...if not, then you may have to give a glass jar a try.

Thanks for the kind words on the book...I appreciate them..
TCA

Back