• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

came close this year

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt85

54 Cal.
Reaction score
been wanting to go on a deer hunt my whole life and im proud to say i got the closest ive ever been this year. maby next year ill finally get out there.

i managed to get a respectable rifle (a pedersoli long rifle) and get it dialed in. also managed to finally get my hunters safety coarse done. bought me a shooten bag and a powder horn.

the part that fell threw... couldnt find a reliable hunting partner. i know one guy at work who would go with me but he wasnt really interested in put in the time to get an area scouted. nor was he willing to take any time off of work.

i know the whole thing sounds silly to those of you who hunt all the time. but its very difficult to get time off of work. not to mention the difficulty of finding a place to hunt and understanding area/GMU maps (which i still dont).

yall make sure to post lots of pics and stories so i can at least enjoy the experiance threw you!

Muzzel loading season starts in Huckleberry GMU in 3 days. I can't hunt it this go around due to my arm and finances but if you want there are a few nice bucks out back on my property. I can show you around the property and let ya pitch a tent on the lawn and run out a space heater to ya.
The 4 point restriction sounds harsh but there are two 6 pointers back there, and at least six 4-5 pointers and a 4 pointer has been using my front yard as his morning breakfast off and on for the last few weeks. He is hanging out with a young spike who is rather cute. Off limits of course but theres no rules against counting coup. He has been 'killed' 3 times by me this last few weeks.
:)

cynthialee said:
Muzzel loading season starts in Huckleberry GMU in 3 days. I can't hunt it this go around due to my arm and finances but if you want there are a few nice bucks out back on my property. I can show you around the property and let ya pitch a tent on the lawn and run out a space heater to ya.
The 4 point restriction sounds harsh but there are two 6 pointers back there, and at least six 4-5 pointers and a 4 pointer has been using my front yard as his morning breakfast off and on for the last few weeks. He is hanging out with a young spike who is rather cute. Off limits of course but theres no rules against counting coup. He has been 'killed' 3 times by me this last few weeks.

:thumbsup:

Mike Brines said:
Cynthialee, that is most generous, and a pat on the back for it. :hatsoff:
This forum has been generous to me and in the space of a couple months I have learned more about this hobby than I have in the prior 43 years of living.
Besides, someone should get some venison out of the back property. If we don't kill off a handful of them between Matt and my neighbors there is going to be suffering in deer land this winter. It is going to be a humdinger of a winter. The bees have already gone to ground and a friends coon cat is putting on a layer of fur and fat like he has never seen before. So much so that he took kitty to a vet with worry. The vet took one look at the cat and imediatly let a whistle out and said it is going to be a very harsh winter. Then told him to go home nothing is wrong with the cat.

Since your new to hunting and it sounds like you got one heck of a great offer to hunt NE Wash. I will offer that the deer are probably going to be whitetails and they are very spooky deer. They dont take well to hunters walking around much. If you go I would suggest that you locate the trails they are using on the property and sit yourself in a blind of some sort and be patient. Think slow movements when in the prsents of wary deer. Most of all have fun and aim small miss small.

cynthialee said:

:thumbsup:

harleysboss said:
Since your new to hunting and it sounds like you got one heck of a great offer to hunt NE Wash. I will offer that the deer are probably going to be whitetails and they are very spooky deer. They dont take well to hunters walking around much. If you go I would suggest that you locate the trails they are using on the property and sit yourself in a blind of some sort and be patient. Think slow movements when in the prsents of wary deer. Most of all have fun and aim small miss small.
yep skitish white tails
I been trying to condition them to believe I am afraid of them and thus no threat.
A few of them are buying the ruse' but most of them know better.

Cynthialee, that is a very nice offer!

Matt, don't let the fact that you don't have a hunting partner keep you from hunting. I hunt alone the majority of the time and enjoy every minute of it. I started hunting a new area this year and was not able to scout it before season. I have only had a couple short hunts there but I was able to take a whitetail doe there this morning with a longbow. You just have to get out there and hunt.

Don't try to learn all the GMUs, just the ones you plan to hunt. Get a topo map of the area and a BLM map so you know what areas are public land(I'm sure this is available on computor/GPS but I like my map and compass). The only way to really learn an area is to get out there and explore it. None of us know how many seasons we have so get out there and hunt while you can.

Matt lives in a city, so I am sure that once he sees the lake and trails he will have a good hunt even if he doesn't get a shot.
ourlake4-30-102.jpg

ourlake4-30-104.jpg

The lake is 20-25 acres and stocked with trout a few years back and under fished the last 2 years.

thanks for the advice all.

pab1, my reason for not wanting to hunt alone is more of a safety concern then any thing else.

1. ive been jumped out in the woods before... got bloodied up real good and lost a nice rifle!
2. i have a poor sense of direction. :redface:

i cant afford one now but for next year i will use a hand-held GPS (i know its not PC but it beats getting lost). i will also find a shooting partner as having someone to watch your back is always good.

-Matt

edit: dang that lake looks nice! if we dont get a deer maby we can catch a few trout.

You won't get jumped by the people around here.
The neighbors would be most likely to offer help.
Also, I have warned folks to stay off the property while we are hunting the land. I am more concerned with acidently shooting the neighbors than I am about being mugged for my rifle. Besides, I am armed with a revolver.
(oh btw...I might be able to get my deer tag after all.)
:grin:

Thats what husbands should do all the time! He should also dress it out an cook some of it for ya! :thumbsup:

After such a generous act by one of our forum members, I feel it is only fair that I offer to join Matt85 as a hunting and fly-fishing partner. How far a drive from Kentucky to NE Washington state? :wink:

Back