• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Camo or Traditional

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntertrapper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I only wear traditional like clothing. Leather wool. I don't wear camo, except for a camouflage capote for turkeys. Anyway, who wears camo and who doesn't? Just wondering. Pictures would be cool, just for ideas. thanks

All i know is if i wore traditional clothes deer hunting i`d be shot for sure.
Blaze orange all over your body.
Except bow hunting, then cammo :thumbsup:

I've been wearin camo cuzz that's what I have. In the same spirit behind havin built my own rifle and casting my own bullets though, when I go on to traditional clothes as I intend to do, I'll be making them myself rather than buying. And yup, I gotta start savin hides, cuzz I'll want to make them from deer I shot myself. I only know one way to get more traditional, and I'll tell you. It's too darned cold up here to be hunting in my birthday suit!

yes id imagine its cold in alaska and i have been savin hides also. about being shot i hear where your comin from but where we hunt there really is no one. Its in norther PA potter county where theres not many folks around. thanks

Camo, gore-tex, thinsulate, fleece, etc...I do all my hunting with flintlock rifles and smoothbores because the hardware / manner of take for hunting is basically the focus of my muzzleloading interest...and I just wear regular hunting clothes & boots

oh yes thats cool. I wont wear those things but do each a zone. But its good to see someone atleast using a primitive rifle.

during gun season i sometimes wear camo and somtimes wear a green plaid wool jacket with wool pants and blaze vest and hat. i use my flintlock during muzzleloader season and during shotgun i use my pump with 00 buckshot.

I'm with you huntertrapper. No synthetics, no plastics. I just don't understand at all hunting with traditional weapons while using modern clothing and equipment. I also personally really hate camo clothing, as it was developed for the use of soldiers in combat, and hunting for me is not warfare.

Without naming names, a herein registered correspondent was recently staining a guy for using conical bullets in an old style ML, then in another thread said he carries a GPS. :youcrazy: ????????

Traditional weapons only get half the job done if you don't back them up with traditional equipage and methods.

shortbow said:
"...I just don't understand at all hunting with traditional weapons while using modern clothing and equipment..."

Interesting statement...you have a rock solid mindset about what all muzzleloading enthusiasts should do in their pursuit of muzzleloading...makes me think:
"I just don't understand how you can be so rigid in your thinking and expectations of others".

In my case it's simple...I already explained it above and it's not difficult to understand at all.

To repeat, my muzzleloading interest is in the hardware / manner of take for hunting...ie: I like shooting / hunting with Flintlocks.

While shooting / hunting with Flintlocks I choose to wear modern, warm, dry, comfortable clothes as that aspect of muzzleloading is not an area of interest to me.

It's really very simple, straight forward, and easy to understand.

Other hunters freak out enough just seeing me using a Flintlock when I hunt deer, or a percussion DB shotgun when I am hunting birds. I don't need to walk around in skins, too. Blaze orange is required, and it really does make sense. Of course, Murphy being my constant companion, I have been shot at BECAUSE I was wearing blaze orange, but that is another story!

yes it is sir. but, i am just sayin i dont feel the need to wear those things anymore. Are they comfortable, absolutely, but the traditional clothing is something that i honestly feel i need to wear. i feel ive got to wear these clothes, something in my head just says dont wear camo. im san but i cant help but wear wool and leather. as said earlier do each a zone. Sorry if i angered you at all roundball.

huntertrapper said:
where we hunt there really is no one. Its in norther PA potter county where theres not many folks around. thanks

I beg to differ.
Been hunting "Northern Potter " for over 30 yrs and don't seem to recall not seeing anybody there, unless my memory is fading. I even switched to the second week of regular season years back so I only see half of nobody.
As far as clothes go, mama didn't raise a fool. I like being warm and dry. When I get cold, i get cranky.

When I'm bowhunting I wear camo. When there are other guys in the woods with guns I wear either blaze orange or traditional with a blaze vest.

Natural linen, butternut and walnut dyes all look too much like a part of a deer to wave in front of the locals. The woods are pretty thick in parts around here and it is infrequent to see a whole deer at once, and I don't want to look like a "glimpse" of a deer to some eager kid on his first hunt.

Here in Germany many hunters wear the typical Loden clothing. It is a kind of green wool. They call it traditional. I hunt in camouflage dress, because I find it more fuctional. In Germany you only have to wear orange when doing drive hunts with more hunters. Normally the german hunter is alone in the forest because of the hunting ground system here. Means only the one who has leased one or own one can hunt there.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Mornin huntertrapper
Glad you made it here and Welcome.
The boys here are just worried you might get shot not wearin orange. We don't know what it is like where you hunt But you do and I understand that. I hunt on 60 acres by myself and understand what it's like bein the only one around. Although I have been huntin on here and I have orange tied to the tree's on my blind
the near downs That's my habitat in the background
lookin out
and I do wear orange and have been out there early in the mornin when I heard my neighbor who was out huntin on there 100+ acres call out to his daughter that there was a hunter over on the next ridge, (me) And she called back that she seen me. That was good to hear cause I never seen them. The woods can get thick at times. Then there was the time I heard something moving through the woods but couldn't see Nothin, It was moving toward me.. I waited and a gas line worker came out. He was wearin a green shirt and was busy lookin at the ground and did not see me up on the ridge. When I talked to him, He looked up and seen me and his face was WHITE!!! I mentioned he might want to wear orange during huntin season. He agreed. After you have been huntin a few years things can and do happen. I'm not tellin you what to do, I'm just giving you something to think about. Heck, You might teach me something I need to know some day and I want you around to do it,, This was my first deer with my T/C 50. I took off the orange vest for the picture, The hat is orange not yellow.
first T/C 50 cal kill We are allowed 4 deer here a year. One can be a buck. I hunt for food not a trophy.

When I hunt with the bow I wear a Rancho Safari ghillie suit. It is cut extra big so it fits over my clothing very well.

When I hunt with any sort of firearm, I will wear Polar fleece camo but I have a solid orange vest and hat on. State laws mandate the orange part here in Massachusetts, Connecticut or Rhode Island .

huntertrapper said:
yes it is sir. but, i am just sayin i dont feel the need to wear those things anymore. Are they comfortable, absolutely, but the traditional clothing is something that i honestly feel i need to wear. i feel ive got to wear these clothes, something in my head just says dont wear camo. im san but i cant help but wear wool and leather. as said earlier do each a zone. Sorry if i angered you at all roundball.
You didn't anger me at all..."shortbow" said he couldn't understand so I re-explained my answer to him. I certainly have no problem at all with what anybody else chooses to wear hunting...surprised that anyone would have a problem with what I wear...there are far, far more important things in life.

seems like alot of people get on a high horse on these forums when it comes to other peoples choices on how or what they shoot or how they hunt. i respect your choices and you should respect mine. i love it all centerfire rifles,handguns,shotguns, muzzloaders and handguns. theres no room for snobs on the gun range.

Latest posts

Back